Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Default Boost and waterspray issues

My car is boost is about 9 psi and ive read that it should have about 14 psi . All hooses are Ok, vacuum hooses, pierburg connected but cant feel any overboost also. Any ideas of what`s the problem? faulty pierburg?
    Any sugestions?

Also, ive been trying to make the waterspray work, the relay is on its place, ive tried joining the cables of the pressure sensor, and i cant hear the relay clicking. I think that maybe there is another relay, or the relay im checking is not the correct.
    Ive tried to conect the electric pumps directly to 12v and they work great.

heeeellpppppp !!

thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by juamin View Post
    Also, ive been trying to make the waterspray work, the relay is on its place, ive tried joining the cables of the pressure sensor, and i cant hear the relay clicking. I think that maybe there is another relay, or the relay im checking is not the correct.
    Ive tried to conect the electric pumps directly to 12v and they work great.

heeeellpppppp !!
    I have some original documentation on this subject
    I'll try to look it up tonight and post the images on the web and make them available to you. It's the complete electronic diagram and the installation instruction of all the components. The only downside might be, that it's in German (not sure).

Greetings,
    Marc
    In a world full of compromise...
    ...some don't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

If you suspect the pierburg, you could temporarily pull the hose between the pierburg and the turbo. BE CAREFUL because you have now disabled the overboost protection, so try with moderate throttle first. If it's your pierburg not working or being controlled wrong, you should now have masses of boost. Put the hose back after trying, it's better for your wallet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by WhizzMan View Post
    If you suspect the pierburg, you could temporarily pull the hose between the pierburg and the turbo. BE CAREFUL because you have now disabled the overboost protection, so try with moderate throttle first. If it's your pierburg not working or being controlled wrong, you should now have masses of boost. Put the hose back after trying, it's better for your wallet.
    I know but in that case , it will boost to infinite!! , i dont want to try that jeje
    Maybe ill can try with a manual boost controler.
    There is no other way to test the pierburg or make it produce more boost??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Brul(tm) View Post
    I have some original documentation on this subject
    I'll try to look it up tonight and post the images on the web and make them available to you. It's the complete electronic diagram and the installation instruction of all the components. The only downside might be, that it's in German (not sure).

Greetings,
    Marc
    great =) please post it , it can be really usefull for others also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I know but in that case , it will boost to infinite!! , i dont want to try that jeje
    Maybe ill can try with a manual boost controler.
    There is no other way to test the pierburg or make it produce more boost??
    It won't boost to infinite, your ECU will hit cutoff because of the knock-sensor kicking in. (roughly at 1.5 BAR) You can drive carefully, not at full throttle with this setup for a few minutes just to test. I know BrulTM did all this when he replaced his turbo and he had trouble with the waste-gate not opening correctly. If I remember correctly, he even drove the car to work for a week. There are other methods to test more precisely, but I'd reccomend not going there until you are certain it has to do with the waste-gate and pierburg.

Other causes could be a faulty knock-sensor, stuck waste-gate, or leaks in your inlet- or outlet trajectory. If you want to test if your waste-gate is stuck, make sure you carefully measure/mark/note the length of the arm to the actuator, it should be set to exactly that and the angle to the actuator should also not be changed. You can loosen the arm and try to move the waste-gate manually (make sure the engine is cold and not running of course) to verify it's not stuck. Finding leaks works best with dishwashing-soap. Dilute slightly with water so bubbles form easily and apply on your inlet trajectory. Any leak should now produce bubbles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

It won't boost to infinite, your ECU will hit cutoff because of the knock-sensor kicking in. (roughly at 1.5 BAR) You can drive carefully, not at full throttle with this setup for a few minutes just to test. I know BrulTM did all this when he replaced his turbo and he had trouble with the waste-gate not opening correctly. If I remember correctly, he even drove the car to work for a week. There are other methods to test more precisely, but I'd reccomend not going there until you are certain it has to do with the waste-gate and pierburg.

Other causes could be a faulty knock-sensor, stuck waste-gate, or leaks in your inlet- or outlet trajectory. If you want to test if your waste-gate is stuck, make sure you carefully measure/mark/note the length of the arm to the actuator, it should be set to exactly that and the angle to the actuator should also not be changed. You can loosen the arm and try to move the waste-gate manually (make sure the engine is cold and not running of course) to verify it's not stuck. Finding leaks works best with dishwashing-soap. Dilute slightly with water so bubbles form easily and apply on your inlet trajectory. Any leak should now produce bubbles.
    Great thanks WhizzMan ill try all those things. There is any procedure to check the knock sensor ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

If I remember correctly, he even drove the car to work for a week.
    I believe I drove the car for almost two weeks due to a lack of time

But you have to be really carefull!! Yes the pressure sensor will give you a fuel cut.. This moment comes very quickly. You really need to be gentle with the throtle!! Don't rev!! Drive very careful and accelerate very slow!! If you have a turbo meter you will see why
    I drove mine on the sound and feeling I never drove faster than approxemately 75 KM/H The ECU was continiously taking over otherwise....

Greetings,
    Marc
    ...some don't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Great thanks WhizzMan ill try all those things. There is any procedure to check the knock sensor ?
    I have no more clue than you do. I presume there's a procedure in the workshop manual that describes it. I personally would pull the plug and see if there's a difference because I'm too lazy to thumb through a PDF. However, it might be wiser to read first and find out if there is a better way to do it. Of course, be careful, the knock-sensor is there for a reason and if you disable it you disable a safety-catch for your engine's health. Just try briefly if there's a difference, don't combine with other "tests" like pulling the pierburg-hose etc.

Oh, another question, are you certain you have a lack of power? Could it be just your indicator being off? It wouldn't be the first time someone started hunting a problem and found out later that the problem was in his measuring equipment and not in the car.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Where is the knock sensor in the Q4?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

in the most fucked up place ! under the intake manifold betwen the 2. and 3. cylinder.
    I swear i didnt do it!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Ah, another inaccessible part of the Q4

Going to have to sort out that swear filter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Don't put a swear filter on, you won't be able to follow the conversation if you only let the swearing through.

Oh, regarding the water-spray not working: could it be you don't achieve enough turbo-pressure for the ECU to activate it?
    Last edited by WhizzMan; 27-05-08 at 15:16.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

could it be you don't achieve enough turbo-pressure for the ECU to activate it?
    You will need at least 0,6 bar to activate the pressure sensor.

Greetings,
    Marc
    ...some don't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

You will need at least 0,6 bar to activate the pressure sensor.

Greetings,
    Marc

yes , thats right.
    but ive read that to check if the pumps and system works, you have to join both cables of the presure sensor, and the pumps will start working. but that didnt happen in my case, I cant hear any relay ticking =( .
    I can see that the relay is on its place ( i hope im checking the right relay) . Ive tried connecting the pumps direct to 12v and they work fine.

So if someone knows how to make the waterspray work i would be verry happy

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I never got mine to work, so I made a manual override for it, a switch by the gear stick - I just use it if I do a track day

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

So if someone knows how to make the waterspray work i would be verry happy
    You have seen this page haven't you?

http://www.berlinasportivo.com/Techn...waterspray.php

Steve
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4: Dozeing in the garage.
    2009 Audi A4 tdi: Everyday drive.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 , 1995cc Std Standard Black

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Well i tend to swear when i think of inacessible parts on a q4 so for q4 owners swearing should be alowed everywhere( in curch also)

On topic!

You can test it simply conect it to a compresor unit whit a presure gauge and fil it up and test when it woorks Read the manual its all there!
    I swear i didnt do it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Webb View Post
    You have seen this page haven't you?

http://www.berlinasportivo.com/Techn...waterspray.php

Steve
    Oh thanks steve, i havent seen that page, but ive checked all the thing it says, ill try with a new relay, because maybe the one that is installed it s not working.
    Its a simple and conventional relay? or it has something special?.

thanks =)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Part number in the article on page two refers to a hose, it should be 60577687 (as quoted on page one).

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Smile

I have a series 1; with the relay of origin this one is only fixed has right of fuse box it just needs to feed it with one + and pumps work!!!!
    BE NEVER TO APPEAR
    ETRE JAMAIS PARAITRE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

great =) please post it , it can be really usefull for others also.

Took a bit longer than I origanally said
    Unfortunately it's all in the German language and the quallity isn't that good. The positive thing is, this is a copy of the original documentation
    But here are the images...

Good luck everybody.

Greetings,
    Marc
    ...some don't.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Did this today and wow!!!!

What a difference It made my car what I thought it should be....much more responsive, much faster to boost and saw 1.4bar before I even realised!!!

Soooo, Pierburg or actuator? I know the actuator moves.

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by wrinx View Post
    Did this today and wow!!!!

What a difference It made my car what I thought it should be....much more responsive, much faster to boost and saw 1.4bar before I even realised!!!

Soooo, Pierburg or actuator? I know the actuator moves.

wrinx
    Nice isnt it, it made the drivability much better on mine! Its why I am going to get the electronic boost controller

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Took a bit longer than I origanally said
    Unfortunately it's all in the German language and the quallity isn't that good. The positive thing is, this is a copy of the original documentation
    But here are the images...

Good luck everybody.

Greetings,
    Marc

Great Info!! ill check the complete system! i hope it works!

By the way, i had the pierburg connected the wrong way i think.
    The grey cable should be connected at the radiator side pin of the pierburg, thats right??
    My car still gives only 10 psi =( . grhhhhhh
    Ill try swapping the pierburg with another Q4 to test it.