Thread: oooops

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Default oooops

finally got some time to work on my car the other day, and started to take out the thermostat. Some of the hoses had become a part of the thermostat and the only way to get it out was to cut them... Well i'll run over to a hose company after the weekend, to see if they have something i can use.

But.. i also managed to brake one of the nipples (red plastic) on the sensor thingy that has two nipples and two small hoses attached to it..!! This is located on the side of the thermostat.

What is it for? egr system? do i need it? should i just remove the egr system? pros and cons of doing this? And what is it called? (the sensor)

Thanks

Eivind

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

It is the EGR sensor....I've removed the system on mine. Makes access to several things much easier and is supposed to give the engine a fraction more power.

The only slight downside if I remember correctly, is that the engine may run a little hotter as the gases are there to help cool the mixture.

From memory...!

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

you are so quick

what did you do to the egr sensor after removing the entire system? blocked it off, or did you remove it?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

You can just leave it in there, which is what I did at first.

But, I then had to change the thermostat and the Fiat stat is not only cheaper and more available but it doesn't have the EGR hole/sensor...result!

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

ok i see. I have a brand new q4 thermostat which im putting in as soon as i have the hoses i need, so i guess i'll just leave it in there then

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

One of the two 'red nipples' has a tube that goes to the throttle body {bottom side} - the other one is for the egr valve. Make sure you block this tube {you could use this tube for a boost meter, if you like} or you will lose pressure!
    My {ex} mechanic forgot to block this tube and ... I just change mechanic.

Nick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

well, will check witch nipple came off as i have a turbo meter laying around

you guys make my life simpler, hehe