Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Default Crank sensor issue

Unfortunately my trip to Phillip Island Raceway did not go well!! - The car seemed to go fine for 1/2 of practice then it suddenly started to run as though the timing was 20-30 degrees retarded - no power and no acceleration - it was all I could do to nurse the car back to the pits. This happened each of the four times that I took the car out on the track - the car would start ok, do a warmup lap - then as soon as I tried to really get it going it would behave in the same fashion... It seemed to be running on all four cylinders - just not very well..

I checked the error log on the Autronic ECU and it reported timing sensor errors. I then spent a long time messing around with the CAM timing sensor between each run, as I suspected that the problem lay there - but nothing would fix the issue.

When I got the car home this morning and on the hoist I decided to check the 'other' sensor on the crank shaft and found that when I had reassembled the car a couple of weeks ago, i had made it possible for the crank sensor wire to come into contact with the belt and the pulley of the power steering pump - and so there was some serious damage to the outer casing of the crank sensor cable with the braid fully exposed...

Now.. I am inclined to believe that this contact has caused the problems that I was having.. surely it cant just be co-incidence????

what do you think..
    Attached Images Attached Images