Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Why? My 15mm spacers with 100pcd are fine...

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I have 20mm spacers and 4x100 wheels and the problem is to get longer wooble bolts then the original length(you need 5cm,original 3cm).
    I had to order them in italy and paid for 8 bolts 70 eu(approx. 60gbp)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Ouch! No problem sourcing them for the 15mm spacers. Think the company, on eBay, had longer bolts too but it was while ago.

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Wrinx - is this (in the pic..) the style of bracket that you used? Have just purchased these enormous 166 calipers to go with the Fiat 305mm disks. No IDEA where I am going to find suitable wheels....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

First with these brackets and 305mm disk the pads don't cover the entire disk surface they "look over" the disk for a few mm.Not good.We modified the calipers by making a notch and made the holes in the brackets 2mm more "in" so the pads cover the entire disk.

If you put 310mm disk from the 166 or lancia kappa turbo then there is no problem with that but you probably won t find any suitable wheels to go with that.

We barely managed to squeeze OZ racing F1 16" with modified brackets but there is still the problem with the balancing weights and we hope to solve this problems with slimmer ones.
    Last edited by axaQ42; 21-08-08 at 08:35.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Thanks for this updated info axaQ42 - No I don't want this "look over" either...

could you please explain this in more detail so that I will know exactly what must be done..

....We modified the calipers by making a notch and made the holes in the brackets 2mm more "in" so the pads cover the entire disk.

appreciate you input, cheers, jimn~

also.. with the OZ Racing F1 wheels (which as far as I can tell from their website are no longer available) did you need any spacer at all? (aside from the std 4.7mm one)?

thanks again..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I will post the pictures as soon as everything is hopefully correctly assembled.The notch on the caliper must be made near the mounting holes becouse the calipers hits in the upright and becouse of that it cant go more innward.
    Here where the problem is:

With the OZ F1 i didnt need any additional spacers to fit.

The easy solutions to that are simple:
    -get some 17" and don t care if there is around 5mm of each pad unused OR
    -get some 17" and buy alfa 166 brake disc and make 4*98 holes in it like that

OR
    -find 16" that fit and again don t care if there is around 5mm of each pad unused
    Last edited by axaQ42; 21-08-08 at 09:45.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Thanks - I understand the Issues better now - thank you for going to the trouble of putting up the pics. I want to keep 16" wheels so that I can keep the 590mm diameter that you get with 205/45/16's. I will make a mock up bracket out of plywood and see what I have to do. I really don't mind if I have to use spacers if I can keep them to under 15mm.

cheers, jimn~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

There is still one solution...find suitable 16" +310mm disc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Default bracket making...

I have made a bracket that with a tiny bit of adjustment on the caliper body and the upright mounting ears goes together with zero underhang or overhang of the top edge of the pad.

Yes - I know its just wood - a steel one will follow tomorrow, and yes, I guess that caliper is on upside down - but good enough for a pic!

jimn~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Now thats looking good!

Practicly almost equal as we did....we just took some material from the caliper body and made the holes on the brackets(the brackets that are supplied here on the forum) 2mm more "in" and it was enough for zero underhang or overhang.

As long as it works

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Do the 16s fit now?

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Yes by 1mm probably The only problem are the balancing wieights so we will use slimmer ones or put them on the outside(i dont care about the looks as long as ti brakes good hehe)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I have also found some 16x7 ET38 4x98 PCD wheels that will fit. They are cast and weigh 8.5kg each - but they will still end up as light as if I was using forged 100x4 PCD wheels and a steel spacer. Basically to make the 166 caliper work on the Fiat vt20 305mm rotor you need a wheel that has 42mm clearance in front of the disk face from radius 90 - radius 160. Many 16" wheels will fit radially but few on the caliper face. I will probably end up with a spacer between 3-7mm depending on the face clearance i go for.

jimn~
    Last edited by jimnielsen; 25-08-08 at 10:32.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Interesting....as far as I know there are only a couple of 16" wheels which fit over the Brembos, but that doesn't mean there aren't more!

Do you think your amended bracket has made the difference?

Pics please...

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

The brackets mod definitly makes the difference.Before the wheel didnt fit over the brembos no it does.Actually its not that big of a mod but enough to make certain wheels fit but the most important the pad cover completly the brake rotor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

A few more pics - I have made a metal bracket.. I will add more symmetry to it later

Also here are pics of how I adjusted the caliper and the rear face of the caliper mounting ears.

You can see that the speedlines fit (radially) but I would need a 20mm (total including the std 5.0 mm one..) spacer to get them to be off the caliper faces.

The pads sit flush with the disk edge. I moved the "large" holes 5mm closer to the small ones on the bracket.

jimn~

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

20mm is quite a lot and would put most people off I think...but if it works for your race car that's good

At least you've proven it can be done...

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

nah - 20mm is too much for me too! I just wanted to see what they looked like and what the limiting factors are. I have my eye on some wheels that will fit with no spacer at all - though I may use a spacer up to 12 or so mm to increase the track (and the back too) but not too much..

cheers, jimn~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

umm.. and does the brake line that is standard on the Q4 attach direct without modification to the 166 caliper - or - do I have to use the 166 brake lines that came with the caliper/ In that case does that brake line attach direct to the place where the original one connects?

thanks - jimn~

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Standard 155 line should be fine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I installed braided ones that are like the standard one..they fit no problem...almost too long hehe

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Standard lines are fine

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

As the chaps said, standard ones are fine but you have a RH caliper on the LH upright in your next to last piccy...
    155 Q4
    155 V6
    155 TS
    155 1.8 16V
    156 1.8 16V
    156 2.4 JTD 20V Mjet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Ive been using that caliper for bracket measurements for both sides.. The calipers better be symmetrical or I am in trouble, anyway, I am making the other bracket tomorrow - so I will find out soon ...

jimn~