Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

OK - so I didn't read the post below from Ringman well enough (see below...) - so i DID get soaked! Apart from that removing the belts was (pretty) straight forwards! The belts both look to be in sound condition but the bearing for the lower balance shaft is in very poor condition - I think that just the belts were changed on this car - not the bearings.

I removed the 22mm nut on the crankshaft with a rattle gun. Nothing to it.

The balance belt could be twisted on its longest length about 180 degrees - the timing belt about 110 degrees.

Ok.. The Big Question!!

I think I know how to put the thing back together... but I want to convert the car to a NON air conditioning compressor system by removing the AC compressor. Can I just remove the compressor and use a belt direct from the crank to the power-steering pump in its current position ** OR ** do I have to move the power-steering pump to a new position? Do the AC cars have the correct mounting hardware if I have to move the pump?

thanks, jimn~

Quote Originally Posted by 155'Ringman View Post
    When I changed my belts I got bearings from Tanc Barrett (Which he recommended) to fit in the tensioner and the idler IIRC. You'll have fun with the bolt holding on the rear section of the belt cover.....

It goes through a water jacket so when you take it out, you'll get soaked :-)

I think the only other thing that gave me trouble was that bl**dy PAS & AC arrangement.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

I'd guess you can just remove it and stick the non-aircon belt on....was AJ able to help?

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

no - the ps pump will need to be moved for it to be driven direct from the crank belt location that currently drives the AC compressor...the question is does the setup I have contain this new mount point...

jimn~

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Doh..the PS pump is the top one! I thought AJ had done this...someone certainly has.

I need to check ePER but there's possibly a different bracket available...which flags up a vague memory of someone fabricating their own as the OE version was too much or unobtainable.

Same guy who fabricated his own inlet manifold I think...does that remind anyone else???

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by wrinx View Post

Same guy who fabricated his own inlet manifold I think...does that remind anyone else???

wrinx
    djsly maybe, will need to trawl through over on .org...

Maybe this will help:
    http://alfa155.org/forum/viewtopic.p...hlight=#227294

I wonder how it is done on an Integrale...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaJack View Post

I wonder how it is done on an Integrale...

Hmmm, I wonder who knows......

It's a separate belt which runs between the AC pump and the PS pump which has a twin pulley on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I had replied to Jim & Gery83, but yes it is possible to do away with the AC pump. The PS pump then moves down slightly (I think taking the upper mount from the original AC pump mount, and the lower of the original PS pump mount).

The twin pulley on the PS pump can then be reversed (3 bolts) and it will be in line with the crank pulley.

You can't run a straight belt from the crank to the power steering pump in the original location. All the mounts are there for it to be lowered if junking the AC pump - nothing extra was needed (on a Coupe 16vt). It might be a bit of a PITA with it all in situ, but far from impossible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

thanks AJ!! Will give it a go today. From what I can see the front cross-member will need to come off first - but maybe not

jimn~

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Slightly cheaper cambelt kit option from these guys:

Balcner belt...
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FIAT-COUPE-2-0...QcmdZViewItem?

Timing belt...

...and a FULL locking and tensioning kit!

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage