Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Default Electronic boost gauge - opinions?

Last edited by wrinx; 17-10-07 at 20:19.
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Not sure, guess it would wire in to its own sensor or the wiring from the pierburg valve. My concern with these electronic things is, can they keep up with the speed that the pressure changes at?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

your map sensor is an electronic pressure sensor as well...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Actually, I believe its the only pressure sensor, the pierburg is just a solenoid after all

Just noticed (via FCCUK) that its a boost controller and a gauge!
    Last edited by AlfaJack; 18-10-07 at 09:40.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Is just an electronic boost controller. Has its own "pierburg valve" and pressure sensor.
    The benefitis that you can choose your boost pressure instead of making a re-mapping of the ECU.
    Want good stuff? Check this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Well, it looks good, but first I am always critical when they only talk about boost, not absolute pressure and have no sense of the physical units. 20 millihertz processor...

Second it is a major drawback that it is 1-dimensional (1 boost value for all speeds), not 2-dimensional (speed dependent boost curve) which means:
    A)
    It is rare to have injectors that can handle the maximum requested boost fpor all speeds. In my case I want 1,45-1,50 bar in the mid range, but at 6500 rpm the injectors can only handle 1,30 bar. So, with this device I would have to set max boost at 1,30 bar. And of corse, you have to remap the boost limit map to not interfere with this device.
    B)
    My experience is that you gain boost in low speed range by not regulating it at all. The standard map does not work like that, but with a set value of 1,30 bar it would be even worse up to 2000-2300 rpm.

Third, the major advantage with this device is that it hopefully have clever regulator which helps the ECU achieving the requested boost. The ECU have no regulator implemented, but I try to convince RP-Lab to implement one in the code, however they don't believe there are enough 155 Q4 customers who could finance the development. The drawback with the ECU boost control is that you have to set the duty-cycle low enough so that it doesn't "over-shoot" in perfect atmospheric conditios. In reality this means you get slightly over 1,3 bar boost in third gear, but almost 1,5 bar in 5:th gear.

/A