jimnielsen Guest

Default water at turbo flange?

Hi. Ive been checking my "new" Q4 over and the only real issue that I have come across is that when the car is first turned on it has a few drops of water bubble up between the exhaust manifold and the turbo housing. Does anyone know where this water could be coming from. It is only a teaspoon of water and then it evaporates away and all seems fine - no signs of leaking exhaust gas.

Here is a picture taken 60 seconds after turn on.

And another question. The car seems to have simply water in it rather than coolant. I'd like to flush the cooling system and add proper coolant - but where is the coolant drain plug?

thanks.. Jimnielsen

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

There is no drain plug, you just disconnect the bottom radiator hose.

That water being there is wierd, thought the system should not leak anything at all

Juan AR155Q4 Guest

It could be due to condensation in the exhaust and a bad seal between trubo and manifold.

jimnielsen Guest

is there a gasket between the turbo and the manifold? What type is it?

Juan AR155Q4 Guest

Like this:

jimnielsen Guest

Thanks, Jaun. I'll get a gasket. I have drained the coolant from the engine by removing the lower radiator hose. then I flushed the system by pouring water into the top expansion tank - letting it run through. I then put the lower hose back on. In the manual it says that the cooling system holds 9.1 litres. But I have only been able to put 5 litres back into the system and that is after running it , letting it cool then re topping up? Does the system really take 9.1 litres?

thanks, Jim.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

It should take around 8 as you will never get all the old out.

Your problem may be a big air lock - did you have the interior heater on max heat when you refilled? If not, you need to do this so water can get round the heater matrix properly.

jimnielsen Guest

nah - I had it set to 'max cold' so I guess that explains that!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Keep a check on the water level for a week or so after you have refilled it. Took at least a fortnight for the level to finally settle when I changed my rad.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4: Dozeing in the garage.
    2009 Audi A4 tdi: Everyday drive.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 , 1995cc Std Standard Black