Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My Q4

j1v Guest

Default My Q4

I finally finished the engine rebuild and will have some time to write a project log.

I bought the car with engine problem and new it's engine is for rebuild - exactly what I wanted. After 3 months of work and waiting for various parts yesterday I drove the car for a while. Time for tuning finally ;-)

The target is 350-380hp street car, and probably a small amount of nitrous later just for fun.

j1v Guest

This is how it looked when I bought it

j1v Guest

removal of the engine

Here are the damages. As you might suppose I needed a new crankshaft.

j1v Guest

The camshafts were also very bad so I bought two cams from a Lancia 2L 16v VIS - will post durations/lift and timing later on.

j1v Guest

I don't like the stock pistons, and even they were in good shape, I ordered a seto of Wossner forged pistons. The stock pistons are for sale btw, if someone needs them.

j1v Guest

And of course forged connection rods ;-)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Wow that is some huge failure it had!! Oil starvation?

THose new bits look nice!

Brul(tm) Guest

Nice Q4

That's some serieus damage there :shock:
    The problem with the camshaft (outlet) looks familuar, had the same problem a view years ago.

The new parts look fantastic. I'll be following your topic for ideas, like the topic of Wolf66

Last thursday my engine started to make a very strange noice.
    I will start a topic on that later on, when I know what happend.
    At this moment is all very strange what happend, looks like a oil problem.
    Engine runs fine, power is there.... but tho noise from the head :shock:
    So i'm thinking about rebuilding the engine and start to do some nice tuning of the engine 8)

Greetings,
    Marc

j1v Guest

well this morning I had to go, drove the q4 for a few hours and I'm quite happy with what we had made... now let's continue with the project log ;-)

Because of the width of the connrods, we had to make these in the cylinder walls

The wossners in the rebored engine block:

The old turbo went to a friend for a Q4 that he is repairing, and is replaced by a cosworth t35

j1v Guest

adjustable cam wheels, DIY :-) ... they received a red paint later ;-)

5 plate ceramic clutch

and a dual pressure plate, made of my old pressure plate and a new Valeo. Because I couldn't find only the pressure plate, I had to buy a kit, so now I have a brand new clutch for sale, if someone needs it!

Port matched intake manifold - I haven't spent very long time working on it, because I don't like it and will search for an Integrale manifold

j1v Guest

There were some other strange thing in this car, that made me laugh, like this:

And this spark, I took out of the wipers washer fluid tank:

No need to mention there were a lot of things that made me almost cry, but thats another story

j1v Guest

The camshafts of the Lancia VIS engine are put in reverse - intake -> exhaust , exhaust -> intake

some pictures of the adjustment of cam timing, more will be done on the dyno:

Here are the stock cams vs the ones I have, I would accept recommendations on this topic. We are able to measure the exact angles of the cam timing, so if you have advices, you're welcome
    I know the overlap of my setup is quite big for a turbo engine, but I wanted to test everything on the dyno. However, the idle is quite unstable, so I could play a little with the camgears, so I could obtain a more stable engine.

j1v Guest

Meanwhile, while I was waiting for the engine to be assembled and put in the engine bay, i played a little with the interior ;-)

The air conditioner controls will be rearranged down in the center console, in the place of the audio and ashtray.

j1v Guest

The engine is already in the car:

The mess around the thermostat body

j1v Guest

A picture of the engine bay from today - there are still a lot off things to be done, but the car is drivable and now it's time for engine break-in ;-)

Monday I'm about to order a laser cut aluminium oil cup cover, whith my nick on it and will be painted in red too, just for a final touch of the look. Next step - performance upgrades 8)

j1v Guest

There are a lot of other pictures, that will be interesting for Q4 owners only, and that's why I haven't published them in the Bulgarian forum I write, and here I don't see an attachment mod so I could upload them.

All the water and air hoses in the car are replaced with silicone ones, mainly from "Viper Performance".

The oil supply lines to the turbo were made here by a hydraulic "shop".

The thermostat has been thrown away. I don't like the place it is put, and will think later of an external solution in a more accessible place, for example the main water hose to the radiator.

Next steps, after I see everything with the engine is OK (hopefully) is 3" exhaust downpipe with a straight muffler, and then injectors and remap on a dyno. Later we will probably make a custom exhaust tubular manifold.

The fuel pump I have bought and haven't installed yet is a Bosch rated up to 520 hp

Bosch 040 pump is 235 litres per hour and supports 520 bhp at 73.5 PSI # 0 580 254 040

pavs Guest

nice 8) 8) 8)

K.Kotkas Guest

Superbe! I am few steps behind you. Got the same starting point (broken balancer belt). Finished the engine removal just yesterday, tomorrow is soda blasting day. The head is being ported and also the valves replaced. (ordered in form a shop)

Pistons and rods are going to be replaced, so if you can give me some good hints, where to shop around for forged ones, I'd be thankful.

Also have you or anyone else found some detailed and useful info why to keep the balancer cams ?

some project pics at http://www.lahe.net/gallery/AlfaRomeo155

j1v Guest

Apart form driving the same cars we're using the same laptops

I bought the pistons and connrods from a friend of mine, that imports parts form different places. He had those in stock. Not sure if he has more.

K.Kotkas Guest

heh, the laptop is there not for showing off... its my third keyboard, last 2 were ... oily IBM service is used to me, since my other project was buildin this trophy rig http://nublu.lahe.net/gallery/d/17314-2/DSC01514.jpg with rest of the team and using it in well not so office like environments.

So...

Anyhow, already found the site for pistons, http://www.woessner-kolben.de/english/indexenglish.html is the place. Keep up the good work ...

Brul(tm) Guest

Quote Originally Posted by K.Kotkas
    Anyhow, already found the site for pistons
    I also found that website, but there are more manufacturers.
    Searching the web I also found this website Gazelle Racing
    They have also some of required parts for rebuilding an engine.
    Also I read somewhere that the pistons from Mahle are the wrong choice, Someone who rebuilds his Delta engine, had a bad experience with those pistons. There ar probably lots more manufacturers for pistons, so which to choose :

At this point I think i'm going for the pistons from Wössner.
    The same difficult search and decision is to make with the conrods.
    So if anybody has suggestions, please let me know. I am trying to get a whole picture of needed parts, costs and so on, to make the decision what exactly to do and try to plan the project.

Greetings,
    Marc

Juan AR155Q4 Guest

Wow!!!

It seems every body is aiming more than 300Hp!!! Is that so easy? Just with more boost can be achieved?
    Wolf66 talked about changing camshafts (Tipo's for a first stage of 300-350hp).
    What others modifications are needed? (of course of remaping).

Why you had to change the crankshaft? Couldn't regrind it?
    And about the balancer belt, which injuries did it to the engine? Cause I don't know if the can harm it in any way.

About what you're asking with the cams, if you have the chance to tune it in a dyno, do it. You'll find the setup to get the best of the cams.

j1v Guest

Wow!!!
    It seems every body is aiming more than 300Hp!!! Is that so easy? Just with more boost can be achieved?
    Wolf66 talked about changing camshafts (Tipo's for a first stage of 300-350hp).
    What others modifications are needed? (of course of remaping).
    From what I have read, at least exhaust and bigger turbo, the stock one is too small. I'm planning also bigger injectors and tubular exhaust manifold.

Why you had to change the crankshaft? Couldn't regrind it?
    And about the balancer belt, which injuries did it to the engine? Cause I don't know if the can harm it in any way.
    No, it was too damaged. The balancer belt hasn't done anything, it was just another broken thing in the engine. The main failure was connrod bearing due to very bad oil.
    About what you're asking with the cams, if you have the chance to tune it in a dyno, do it. You'll find the setup to get the best of the cams.
    Of course I'll do it, but it will be done a little later - after I change everything that I have planned - donwpipe, injectors, manifold.

sub555 Guest

looks excellent and a good job 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

sub555 Guest

the pipe that comes from the intake plenium is that a standart integrale one ??