canarin Guest

Default Aliminium Flywheel

Anybody out there tried an ali flywheel on the Q4? The general debate on weather any real advantage is gained with a super light flywheel will never really be settled but first hand experience or stats should be the leveler. Personally, I think the higher launch revs will take some getting used to....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Hi Canarin,

I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone using an Aluminium flywheel with the Q4/Grale engine, well not on the street anyway. There are plenty of other ways to improve the power/responsiveness of the engine which are tried and tested.
    I would think that standing starts (not one of the Q4's strongpoints) would be a real pain in the ass, and would put extra strain on the clutch.
    Unless you have an unlimited budget I'd stay away from the Alu flywheel and concentrate on other improvements.

But thats just my 2p worth.

Steve
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4: Dozeing in the garage.
    2009 Audi A4 tdi: Everyday drive.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 , 1995cc Std Standard Black

cuore_sportivo_155 Guest

on a side topic: doesn't an alu flywheel get eaten by the clutch?

canarin Guest

Default aliu flywheel

The steel insert allows normal clutch engagement without damage to the ali flywheel. In fact in that respect its easier to repair because no refacing is needed - one just replaces a damage insert. No extra horses are developed but what happens is that the horses are available much easier particularly in 1st,2nd and 3rd albeit at a higher rev. Effect is apparently equivalent to losing between 100-200lbs. Some low-end grunt is lost on launch but the quicker rev pick-up makes up for this. Higher revs are needed for launch so extra clutch wear is sure. Seems ok for quic accelaration but is noisy and is descibed by most as an odd feeling untill the extra rev spool-up. I have'nt yet heard of the effect on a turbo though.....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Hi,

I'd say that if you were going to use a more modern turbo that spins up at much lower rpm, or maybe raise compression slightly, to counteract the loss of low down torque, then go for a Alu flywheel. Otherwise I'd say stick with a slightly lightened steel item.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4: Dozeing in the garage.
    2009 Audi A4 tdi: Everyday drive.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 , 1995cc Std Standard Black