markgq4 Guest

Default New Intercooler ?

Hi all,
    i have been considering putting an Front mount intercooler on the car ( for obvious reasons, bigger, better cooling etc...)
    I know it will take a fair amount of work....

but my question is whether adding a bigger cooler and more pipework will create a lot more lag and (possibly) loss of some boost.

anyone any experience of such things?

thanks, Mark.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Hi Mark,
    no direct experience of front mounted intercoolers, but I've always thought that the straigther the run from turbo to inlet manifold the better. One of the standard mods for the Integrale bunch is to put in a straight turbo->Intercooler pipe. Increasing the length of inlet and increasing the number of twists and turns is never going to improve throttle response.
    On my travels I came across the DCS tuning website and the closest I could find to a Q4 front mounted IC is below.

Spagetti like isn't it?

I did read a while ago that even though the construction of the standard IC is crap, the design is pretty good, with very little pressure loss across it.

If you are going to be running big boost, then its probably the way to go, but if you aren't going that large and want to keep throttle response, I'd look towards a new IC in the standard location.

Just my 2p worth.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4: Dozeing in the garage.
    2009 Audi A4 tdi: Everyday drive.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 , 1995cc Std Standard Black

arjunior45 Guest

Default Re: New Intercooler ?

Quote Originally Posted by markgq4
    Hi all,
    i have been considering putting an Front mount intercooler on the car ( for obvious reasons, bigger, better cooling etc...)
    I know it will take a fair amount of work....

but my question is whether adding a bigger cooler and more pipework will create a lot more lag and (possibly) loss of some boost.

anyone any experience of such things?

thanks, Mark.
    yes, you will create more lag and you will certainly lose some boost! I believe about 0.2 bars at least.

try to put the water injection on the intercooler for better cooling {if you do not care too much for the "aesthetic" improvement of your car} or use "dry ice" instead the water. This will cool down the intercooler enough.

Cheers

Nick.

P.S.
    A friend of mine gave me an idea to use a close circuit with air-conditioning fluid to cool the intercooler and probably will be the best idea for Greek hot summers. We will see if we'll try to test it next summer.

markgq4 Guest

Thanks Steve and Nick.

Thats kind of what i had feared,
    i did spend a while straightening that run from Std IC to throttle body, and found it made quite a noticeable improvement.

The car runs 1.7 Bar max boost and 1.4 constant, any more and "pinking" sets in at the moment on the overboost,
    It was my intention to offset the ic to the left (have done a bit of measuring) as much as poss then reroute the ic waterspray to the front of it.

But i am not too sure now....

I might give it a go, and if it does create a lot of lag take it off and sell it again and go for a charge cooler set up.

Saw this on flEbay which may or may not be any good as a start point...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=250063146739

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Chargecooling... now you are talking, if you can still get hold of one, a chargecooler from an Esprit is a very good starting point.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4: Dozeing in the garage.
    2009 Audi A4 tdi: Everyday drive.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 , 1995cc Std Standard Black

Juan AR155Q4 Guest

The car runs 1.7 Bar max boost and 1.4 constant, any more and "pinking" sets in at the moment on the overboost,
    :shock: 1,7 ?? Sotck internals? Turbo? Wich chip are you using?
    Dyno plot?

Watercooler it´s a good option, but remember you´ll have to install a water circuit (radiator, pump, etc), nnd a big radiator would be needed.

markgq4 Guest

Hi Juan,
    yes 1.7 (approx) thats on the overboost, it drops back as the revs rise...
    its an evo eng chip, set-up to run bit higher boost, internals are stock, but head was done with three angle seats and Spesso Grp A h/gasket to keep it all in...

seems happy enough and ive had this one a couple of years now,
    But it does all get a bit hot on a track day !
    which is why i was thinking of solutions

And yes, i know i need a water rad, pump etc etc,
    but it wouldnt be much more work than to fit a front intercooler...
    ok a bit more...

I was looking again at that one on ebay and i dont think the design is so great beause the air has to flow thro 180 Degrees to get in and out of cooler, straight thro would be much better wouldnt it...

Esp compared to the "real thing" here:

http://paceproducts.co.uk/php/produc...bespoke/univcc

Bit pricey tho :shock:

arjunior45 Guest

yes 1.7 (approx) thats on the overboost, it drops back as the revs rise...
    its an evo eng chip, set-up to run bit higher boost, internals are stock, but head was done with three angle seats and Spesso Grp A h/gasket to keep it all in...
    so, you have the so called "3-angle cut" chip from evo eng!!!
    Can you comment this chip in city traffic?

Nick

markgq4 Guest

Hi Nick,

in city traffic and light throttle the car drives along slowly very happily,
    It even seems to improve economy on m/way cruising on light throttle.
    i know that was one of his selling points for the evo chip and letting them set the car up for you.

i can do a definate comparison as the car i have now was STD when i bought it and i swapped everything ecu, cyl head, and turbo and modded downpipe and exhaust system from my first Q4 which spent time at "Waterhouse Engineering" and the difference is/was very large and very positive, even tho i suspect it is not perfectly setup on this engine!