Thread: Cambelt tension

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Default Cambelt tension

Hi guys, first post in here. I have a 16v integrale, which I believe is the same engine as the q4. I'm in the middle of doing the cambelt and water pump. Got the new belt on, but unsure on tension. Is the tool referenced in the manual actually available anywhere?! Or do you have any general guides?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Jamie

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Welcome to our quiet and relaxed forum Jamie

Our engines are indeed almost the same, you can cross check them based on parts no. via eper online the ALFA/FIAT/LANCIA online parts catalogue.
    Unfortunately that catalogue can only serve a few users at the same time so you might get errors (Error Code: 666) during browsing, check back later or use the alternative and more modern version 7zap.com parts catalogue

You can download the workshop manuals for both the 155 Q4 and Delta Integrale as well from here.
    1995 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 , 1995 cc Standard Standard Black

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Thank you so much. I have got the manuals - they are a great help. They just reference special tools which I do not have to tension the belt. Was wondering how everyone else does it? Do you just go by a general rule of 90 degree twist on the longest section or something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I'm guessing nobody does their own cambelt then?!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

I did mine tha last time, I went for the 1/4 turn on the longest run method, but it ended up whining, so slackened it off a touch, been fine since then.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4: Dozeing in the garage.
    2009 Audi A4 tdi: Everyday drive.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 , 1995cc Std Standard Black

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I go for a half turn. I had the same as Steve with the whining at first so backed it off a touch. I guess it also depends how hard you turn it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Thank you very much guys. I gather it is pretty much something that you would know from experience of doing many cambelts over time. If this is the case do you think I'd be alright taking it to pretty much any garage and just asking them to give it a quick look over?

Thanks again, Jamie

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Not so much experience doing Cambelts, certainly on the Delta and Q4 there are a royal pain in the ass. However when it sounds like you have suddenly installed a supercharger onto the car, you know you've done something wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Perfect, thank you very much. Got it all back together and there was a lot of whining. Slackened the balance belt tensioner right off and whining has gone at idle. It is whining at higher revs though (as it was before), although I'm pretty certain that's a boost related issue. Can I ask, I know it's a totally unrelated matter, but do any of you use this method to test for boost leaks?

https://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/...86#Post1618186

Does a standard turbo whine a bit or is that indicating an issue? Don't really have anything to compare it to!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

I've never used that method for boost leaks. I can see what it is trying to do, however in my opinion it won't highlight all leaks as it is using a vaccuum. If you block off the inlet to the engine the vaccuum will suck the hoses\pipes\splits together, whereas you really want to check when they are under pressures that is trying to force them all apart. Better than nothing, but certainly not conclusive.

Turbos do whistle when making boost, so that might be the source of your noise.

Glad all your belts are done, fiddly job, and a scarey one as well. Hope you changed the waterpump at the same time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Thank you again for the advice. Does a boost tester need to be hooked up directly to the turbo inlet on this engine? It would be so nice to just connect it to the air intake pipe that comes up to the airbox - purely for ease of access. Is that possible, or would it be totally incorrect? I apologise for all of these questions!

I did change the water pump. I'm sure it is in the Alfa as well, but it's a nightmare job in the delta because the chassis leg is so tight! Ripped the paper gasket first time around so I had to order a new one and start again. Won't be doing another one for a long, long time!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Not 100% sure what you mean by boost tester? Do you mean a feed for a boost gauge, or reference for MAP sensor etc?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Deltajamie View Post

I did change the water pump. I'm sure it is in the Alfa as well, but it's a nightmare job in the delta because the chassis leg is so tight! Ripped the paper gasket first time around so I had to order a new one and start again. Won't be doing another one for a long, long time!
    Yes, it is super tight in there. It was a particular job that i actually had to give it up and tow it to a garage. I think the engine needs dropping a bit to clear.