Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Default Fuel pump assembly.

So I managed to find some time to start fitting the new Fuel pump and pressure regulator today. Whilst its a simple procedure in theory, a couple of problems arose.

First off the little tab that secures the electrical plug into the fuel pump assemble pinged off as soon as I tried to disconnect the plug. Not serious but still a pain.

Next up, the both that holds the retaining plate that secures both the feed and return pipes to the assembly, was well and truely corroded, pentrating oil used, but still as soon as I applied pressure to undo the nut, the plastic holding the bolt disintegrated. I managed to remove the securing plate and both pipes, however I'm going to have to come up with a way to secure the pipes now.

The new Walbro pump went in without too many issues, however its far from a srop in solution, the electrical feed needed a bit of tinkering and there was a little work needed to fit the filter sock inside of the pump bowl.

So does anyone know if the top of the fuel pump asswmbly is the same across the 155 range? Or does anyone have a good used Q4 one ??
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4: Dozeing in the garage.
    2009 Audi A4 tdi: Everyday drive.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 , 1995cc Std Standard Black

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Well, I've found one for sale, however its €120 and its broken in the same place as mine, you can see the missing bolt, it should be between the 2 spots where the feed and return pipes connect.

Fuel pump assembly
    Last edited by Steve Webb; 29-04-18 at 22:35. Reason: Missing link

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Webb View Post
    So I managed to find some time to start fitting the new Fuel pump and pressure regulator today. Whilst its a simple procedure in theory, a couple of problems arose.

First off the little tab that secures the electrical plug into the fuel pump assemble pinged off as soon as I tried to disconnect the plug. Not serious but still a pain.
    Yup, same happened to me.

Next up, the both that holds the retaining plate that secures both the feed and return pipes to the assembly, was well and truely corroded, pentrating oil used, but still as soon as I applied pressure to undo the nut, the plastic holding the bolt disintegrated. I managed to remove the securing plate and both pipes, however I'm going to have to come up with a way to secure the pipes now.
    Again, it happened...plus, the pipes were split where they joined the unions. If tinkering, be cautious on the 90 degree connectors. They are quite brittle and I snapped one of mine. I got a spare from a V6 which was similar but not the same but it seems to work. I think I drilled a hole in the housing a used a self tapper to hold the securing plate down. Not ideal but it works.

So does anyone know if the top of the fuel pump asswmbly is the same across the 155 range? Or does anyone have a good used Q4 one ??
    Keen to know too!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

I was very careful getting the 90 degree bends out, managed to do it without breaking one, however I have found them online from an Italian shop, €45 the pair.

I'm going to grab a stainless nut\bolt and epoxy the bolt to the top of the housing, hopefully its not going to need to resist much pressure, that and also modify the cover plate so that it holds the 90 degree bends in place.

I was going to replace the little tab on the electrical connector with a grub screw.

Always a can or worms when you start working on a Q4.

Be nice if there was an aftermarket plate that could be used, it must be a fairly standard size.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I was very careful getting the 90 degree bends out, managed to do it without breaking one, however I have found them online from an Italian shop, €45 the pair.

I'm going to grab a stainless nut\bolt and epoxy the bolt to the top of the housing, hopefully its not going to need to resist much pressure, that and also modify the cover plate so that it holds the 90 degree bends in place.

I was going to replace the little tab on the electrical connector with a grub screw.
    Good idea.

Always a can or worms when you start working on a Q4.
    Definitely - Just the age of one thing leads to another.
    Be nice if there was an aftermarket plate that could be used, it must be a fairly standard size.
    Yes I would expect so. Maybe a look to the Fiat Coupe guys will give some results.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Thinking about this last night, I think I've come up with a solution.

For the retaining bar I'm going to drill through the cover and run a (Longer) stainless bolt up from the inside, securing it inplace with a nut (where the head of the bolt used to be) then epoxy the nut inplace to make sure it is completely sealed. Then I will just use a second nut to secure the plate down. Should work, and no chance of it coming lose.

For the tab for the electrical connector, I'm going to screw a small screw into the side of the housing where the tab used to be, then snip the end off with large wire snips. A bit dirty, but will work.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

For the tab for the electrical connector, I'm going to screw a small screw into the side of the housing where the tab used to be, then snip the end off with large wire snips. A bit dirty, but will work.
    That's what I did. Seems to be OK.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Work/life and dog all appear to be preventing me from getting back out to the car at the moment.

I did go and collect some stainless hardware for the job, and as always you go into the shop for one small thing and come out having spent £50!!

At least the weekend looks like its going to be nice so I can get things all back together.