Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Default Belt change - Done

Right the belts and tensioners are all changed. It all went fairly well and I've even got some skin left on my knuckles.

A few thoughts and questions.

The bolt for adjusting the tension of the power steering pump is a bitch to get at.

How do you slacken off the aircon pump to fit the new belt? seems like the bolts for doing so are inaccessible with the engine in place.

The markings on all the pulleys are bloody difficult to spot, nail polish is your friend.

When everything was back in place it all restarted fine, I have left the cambelt cover off fo the moment just so I can check the tension of the belts etc, but the belt noise seems quite pronounced now. There is a new water pump in there as well, so is this going to affect things?

Quick vid after the belt change:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1rIE2VBNbo"]Q4 belt change - YouTube[/ame]

Sounds worse on the video than it really is. At least the water pump isn't about to die.

Another problem is that I seem to have picked up a misfire. Now the fuel has been in there ages, and I've messed around with the plug leads as well. I'm going to swap the plugs over and check all the leads and will report back tomorrow.

Oh and there was some confusion about the placement of some of the markings as the technical manual refers to the engine when its sat on the bench and upright, not when its lent forward in a car.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4: Dozeing in the garage.
    2009 Audi A4 tdi: Everyday drive.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 , 1995cc Std Standard Black

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Your right - it does sound noisy- did you check that the idler bearing was quiet before you out it on? Or is it the alternator making that noise?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Whole new set of bearings and belts, so thinking about it, it must be the alternator. I may have over tensioned the alternator / waterpump belt.

I know the Alternator is on its way out, so I think I'll get it rebuilt and then see where we are.

I've got a lot of play in the track rod ends so need to get them replaced, and I'll be doing the lower wishbones at the same time. By the time they arrive the alternator should be sorted.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Right, swapped plugs for a new set of NGK B8EGV and the misfire seems to have been cured. Got the car up to temp and saw >1bar on the gauge so that side of things seems ok.

I slackened off the alternator/waterpump belt and the belt noise seems better. The voltmeter read @13.8v so not sure if i can be bothered getting the alternator rebuilt just yet.

Suspension parts on order, so when they arrive and get fitted, its down for a CT and then its ready to drive back.