Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Default What tool have you recently bought?

I'm a serial tool buyer

Recently bought a very expensive MIG welder which is was worth every penny...and just picked up a second hand cold saw as I'd got fed up with hand cuttung metal

Been playing with it today, it only does something like 20rpm and has an inbuilt coolant pump for steel

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

That is wicked. Like you I'm fed up with cutting metal, does it give a nice neat, straight cut?
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4: Dozeing in the garage.
    2009 Audi A4 tdi: Everyday drive.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 , 1995cc Std Standard Black

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

What MIG did you get Wrinx?
    Drivers:
    - Red 155 Q4 Winny
    - Red 33 16v
    - Green 33 16v SW
    - Mrs Wombat Freelander

Projects:
    - Various Alfa 33s

Awaiting a grand re-awakening:
    - Red 75 3.0 Cloverleaf
    - The Wombat winter Freelander

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Webb View Post
    That is wicked. Like you I'm fed up with cutting metal, does it give a nice neat, straight cut?
    It does indeed...I bought a metal bandsaw recently but it's pants at cutting thick stuff or in a straight line!

I used to use a saw like this years ago when I worked in engineering, but it was much larger...they're great!

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by the wombat View Post
    What MIG did you get Wrinx?
    A Portamig 235...welds up to 9mm but also goes down to 20a for car bodywork

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I have the same disease

I've also got the same saw, problem was mine came without coolant tray so I sourced a non stick baking tray on Ebay and sat it in that.
    Does your coolant pump and pickup tube work ok? I think mine seems to be missing some sort of non-return valve as I have to manually prime it all the time.

The same welder too, the only fault I have found with it is how the shroud screws on, it's not very positive and has failed a couple of times. Apart from that it's been great.

Most recent acquisition is one of these:

At 2.5 tons it was a big job to get it in. A bit old and outdated as all our stuff is made on CNC machines now, but it's a very useful and adaptable piece of kit to have in the workshop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I was thinking I need to go on to a snap on or mac tools lorry as I havn't bought any new tools for a long time
    But it's nice to have my tool box back and useing them again as it was at a friends farm being stored for 3 years as didn't have a safe place to keep it
    Alfa 155 Q4 skinny
    Alfa 155 2.0 8v skinny rolling shell being cut up to repair the Q4
    Alfa 155 black wb coupe 20vt engine STAYING NOW
    Alfa 155 White widey soon to be 20vt
    Alfa 155 2.5 v6 white skinny NEXT FOR SALE

Will build alfa 155 or 145 into 20vt or 16vt or diesel's or selepeed's pm me

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by alfa155chris View Post
    I was thinking I need to go on to a snap on or mac tools lorry as I havn't bought any new tools for a long time
    But it's nice to have my tool box back and using them again as it was at a friends farm being stored for 3 years as didn't have a safe place to keep it
    A lot of Snap on tools are Chinese shite these days, a fair amount of mine have broken and gone back, it tends to be the newer products. I like to support local businesses as much as possible (which my local Snap on guy is), but really I have to say I'm not very impressed with a lot of their stuff lately.
    The best place to buy Snap on tools is Ebay....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Evodelta View Post
    Does your coolant pump and pickup tube work ok? I think mine seems to be missing some sort of non-return valve as I have to manually prime it all the time.
    I was messing about with this yesterday, thinking the diaphragm had gone on mine as it wasn't pumping. Stripped it down and all was well after a manual prime...worked well for about a dozen cuts and then stopped. I stripped it down again and again found no problem Put it back together and working again....I came to the same conclusion as you and have bought an 8mm non-return valve to put inline before the pump

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

A lot of Snap on tools are Chinese shite these days, a fair amount of mine have broken and gone back, it tends to be the newer products. I like to support local businesses as much as possible (which my local Snap on guy is), but really I have to say I'm not very impressed with a lot of their stuff lately.
    The best place to buy Snap on tools is Ebay....
    Luckily when my dad retired I inherited a whole toolbox full of Snap on sockets etc. Its all at least 20 years old so you can really abuse it without the risk of breaking anything.

Lots of big names moved manufacturing over to China in the late 90's and as such the quality went through the floor. My local car stereo place stopped stocking Alpine kit after they started manufacturing in China, he got fed up with the high number of warranty returns he was getting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Lots of big names moved manufacturing over to China in the late 90's and as such the quality went through the floor.
    That's not only the problem with moving manufacturing to China.
    Things are not made to last that long anymore, we have a consumption society nowadays Who's willing to pay for quality these days?
    When products are designed, there's to much eye for the cost aspect as well.
    Last edited by Brul(tm); 21-10-12 at 19:14.
    In a world full of compromise...
    ...some don't.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

I've got two large sets of "Blue Point" which supposed to be Snap-on's budget range....I think they're great...but then I'm a DIY mechanic and not using them every day in a trade environment.

Halfords Professional range are supposed to be very good too.

I hate the "throwaway society" and will always try to repair things before giving up on them...washer's been saved three times and the tumble drier four times! We're still using my old CRT TV as a spare for the conservatory/kids

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by wrinx View Post
    I was messing about with this yesterday, thinking the diaphragm had gone on mine as it wasn't pumping. Stripped it down and all was well after a manual prime...worked well for about a dozen cuts and then stopped. I stripped it down again and again found no problem Put it back together and working again....I came to the same conclusion as you and have bought an 8mm non-return valve to put inline before the pump

wrinx
    Did it work?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Will let you know, only bought it yesterday on Ebay so it'll take a day or two to arrive.

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by wrinx View Post
    I've got two large sets of "Blue Point" which supposed to be Snap-on's budget range....I think they're great...but then I'm a DIY mechanic and not using them every day in a trade environment.

Halfords Professional range are supposed to be very good too.

I hate the "throwaway society" and will always try to repair things before giving up on them...washer's been saved three times and the tumble drier four times! We're still using my old CRT TV as a spare for the conservatory/kids

wrinx
    Tightwad Northerner

Haha, i'm still watching my old Sony TV with separate digital box, I paid about a grand for it years ago and it's never broken so it will carry on until it does!

I've got a worn bearing on my washing machine, but can't find it. I replaced both which supported the drum at the rear, but when it's spinning it's making an awful grinding noise. I didn't think there must be some kind of guide bearing at the front, but haven't delved that deep yet, any ideas?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Luckily when my dad retired I inherited a whole toolbox full of Snap on sockets etc. Its all at least 20 years old so you can really abuse it without the risk of breaking anything.

Lots of big names moved manufacturing over to China in the late 90's and as such the quality went through the floor. My local car stereo place stopped stocking Alpine kit after they started manufacturing in China, he got fed up with the high number of warranty returns he was getting.
    Interestingly engineering manufacturing is starting to come back to the UK from China, companies with CNC machines have been getting increasingly busy over the last few years - and long may it continue.

My favourite spanners over the last year have been these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6PC-LONG-F...item4ab8124d8f

And the fixed head type too.

Really useful - great for accessing distant nuts n bolts and loads of leverage.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

....any ideas?
    Throw it away and buy another?

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Loving the cold saw, there was a nice one on ebay near me that I'd talked myself (that's not hard ) into but it made more money than I could justify. TBH I don't cut enough tube etc to really need one and the bandsaw I got fairly recently will do what I need. As a wood worker I've always had a bandsaw but often abused them with metal so I got a dedicated machine that can double up for wood, all singing and dancing with it's own gearbox and mechanical tilt on two directions, love it.

Most car dedicated purchase of recent times is the tig. I admit I need practice still but if it matter to be a nice weld I've a man who can so it's difficult to knuckle down and put the hours in to get good myself (note to self - find time!)

The last thing I bought was a new to me wood lathe, I've had one for years but this is an upgrade in weight and the disc sander will be very handy (the main motivator to purchase) Here it is as stripped for transport, I'm on with giving it a cosmetic makeover ATM but thankfully as an ex school machine it's hardly had any use (I used it when I was at school amazingly)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

An oven and woodburner in the garage? Do you get the serious munchies when working on a car?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

It was many years of cold workshop before the stove, it's great to have these days though.
    Ive never cooked anything to eat in the oven, it's had a few weird things in it and smells odd but it's mainly for pre heating aluminium before welding. It still ranks as about the best bargain I've had off ebay, bagged it for £21, a nearly new double oven NEFF worth about a grand new. The poor guys face was a picture when I turned up to collect it, I'd only been working for him the week before and turned down a price he'd suggested.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

That is mighty impressive!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Yes but where is the beer fridge?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

no beer fridge I'm afraid though there are a couple of proper pubs within a stones throw so if it's all too much it's not far to refuge.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Ahh Pubs, i remember them. The closest I've got to one in recent years is the Weatherspoons in Gatwick airport.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Just bought a set of Alden Wrenches...never heard of them before but they'll be useful for getting to those nuts in tight spaces

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage