Thread: Q4 in UK

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Default Q4 in UK

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-ROMEO...ht_1351wt_1186

Bit of an unknown quantity but what Q4 isn't...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaJack View Post
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-ROMEO...ht_1351wt_1186

Bit of an unknown quantity but what Q4 isn't...
    Ermm, should I contact the seller and give him a little more history.

As soon as I spotted the reg number I thought it looked familiar. That is the red Q4 I owned before moving out to France.

Yes it has had a new engine fitted, but it was before the continental road trip, and on the road trip the car was binned across a verge into a ditch.

The guy that bought it from me was going to stick a Fiat 20vt motor into it, longitudinally, bmw gearbox and the Q4 rear diff.

In fact I think the guy selling it, is the guy that bought it from me, so hes being a little naughty not disclosing the full history.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4: Dozeing in the garage.
    2009 Audi A4 tdi: Everyday drive.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 , 1995cc Std Standard Black

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Webb View Post
    Ermm, should I contact the seller and give him a little more history.

As soon as I spotted the reg number I thought it looked familiar. That is the red Q4 I owned before moving out to France.

Yes it has had a new engine fitted, but it was before the continental road trip, and on the road trip the car was binned across a verge into a ditch.

The guy that bought it from me was going to stick a Fiat 20vt motor into it, longitudinally, bmw gearbox and the Q4 rear diff.

In fact I think the guy selling it, is the guy that bought it from me, so hes being a little naughty not disclosing the full history.
    I thought it might be but it didn't all add up except for the crated engine.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Yep, the good things about the car are that its got an almost new engine, like he says if he hasn't used it since he bought it its got less than 2000 miles on it. Its also got an evocars chip in it.
    New clutch went in with the engine, however the release bearing wasn't changed, and is noisy.

As I recall it also had the waterspray system in the boot, looked unused as well.

It also had a replacement front subframe which was rust treated before being bolted up.

Bad parts? Lots and lots, to be honest putting it back on the road would be costly. I think it would be destined to be a trackday car, or more likely a donor for a coupe 4x4 conversion.

If anyone is going to look at it, drop me a mail and I'll give you some of the major bad points!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Right due to a number of people asking about this car, and due to the fact I used to own it I think it best I disclose what I know about the car.

As far as I can remember, and this all started about 9 years ago for me, the car was owned by Richard Banks of Alfaholics, he picked it up cheap as it needed a new engine. He bought a box-fresh engine from Fiat SPA and Alfaholics fitted it. As the engine was designated for an integrale some of the original Q4 ancillaries were swapped over to the new engine.

The car was then used by him and his son Max I believe as a support car for when they were out racing. It was on a trip to Spa for a race when things went wrong. With Max driving they apparently hit a patch of diesel on a corner, slid off the road and eventually ended up in a ditch on its side.
    They unloaded the race car from the trailer, loaded the Q4 up and Max then had to drive the racecar back to the UK with the Q4 on the trailer being dragged behind the tow car.

At this point Richard got in touch with me as he didn't want to throw any more money at the car.

The car turned up at my place in Wiltshire on the back of a trailer with the following list of 'issues'

3 of the 4 wheels were knackered, either massively buckled or parts knocked off them.
    Both front wishbones were scrap, one was bent, one shattered.
    Front subframe was badly bent
    Gearbox mount was smashed
    Cosmetic bodywork damage to both front wings, and doors on one side, there was also a worrying crease in the roof around sunroof. Now I couldn't work out if this was just from where it was pushed upright out of the ditch or from when the accident happened.

I replaced the front subframe with one from another scrapped Q4, got new wishbones and slung on some wheels I had lying around. Fixed up all the other little bits of accident damage (mechanical) and did drive the car to check things out.

At this point I swapped out the chip for an Evocars one, Barry kindly donated it to me as the original Q4 chip was written on my car on a rolling road.
    I slung a new oil cooler and hoses onto the car as the original one was wrecked in the crash, and a new pair of Brembo front disks as I seem to remember one had been damaged in the crash as well.

In the advert where he says the interior is stripped, unless he has been replacing parts, the interior is very stripped, it was going to become a trackday car so pretty much everything that wasn't necessary to drive the car has gone. No heater, no lower dash, air-con removed, ABS ECU removed etc.

I'm not sure that the guy selling the Q4 is the same guy that bought it from me, but looking back through his feedback he did buy something from me around the date I sold the car. (May 2004) So the chances are that this car has been sat around for over 8 years.

I'll dig out some pics of when the car was with me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Here are a few pics, damaged wheel #1, replaced gearbox endcap, damaged wing, cracked disk, stripped interior.

Oh and almost forgot, it had Konis, with unknown springs (red coloured, Eibach?)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Next: Stripped interior, damaged oil cooler, bodywork damage, broken wishbone, damaged wing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

And finally: Broken wheels #2 and #3, damaged gearbox endcap and what it covers.

Feel free to publicize this thread elsewhere so people are fully aware of the car.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Oh and just in-case you are in any doubt, here is a pic of the car along with my black Q4 back when it was in the UK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

mmmmmmmm nice pics steve
    Alfa 155 Q4 skinny
    Alfa 155 2.0 8v skinny rolling shell being cut up to repair the Q4
    Alfa 155 black wb coupe 20vt engine STAYING NOW
    Alfa 155 White widey soon to be 20vt
    Alfa 155 2.5 v6 white skinny NEXT FOR SALE

Will build alfa 155 or 145 into 20vt or 16vt or diesel's or selepeed's pm me

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

As you can see from the pics the car took a hell of a bang through the front wheels, just thought it best people saw how bad it was.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I bought this example several years ago from a chap emigrating to South Africa
    Did you take a wrong turn on your way out there Steve?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quite where South Africa came from I have no idea.
    The rest is like Eric and Ernie, all the right details, not necessarily in the right places.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I saw this when it was listed, it at best looks unloved. The fact that the bonnet is mullered and theres no mention of any damage to it should set off alarm bells.

Be great for parts if i had the time / space / need.

Did you ever use the car Steve?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Like I said this car is probably best as a donor car for a Coupe\145\Tipo conversion. Everything you'll need is there, and buying it as a whole car would probably work out cheaper in the long run.

The engine in the car is great, and is only just run-in. It has 1800 miles on it, not 1800 km. Its got an Evocars chip so a few more horses than standard, and with a lot of weight gone it felt a lot more lively than a standard Q4. I didn't drive it that much, but did take it out for a few runs on trade plates.

If it were closer to me I'd put in a cheeky offer for the parts.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Well, it's got some bidders now and hopefully it'll be sorted rather than parted out...for me, it'd all depend on how much damage was sustained during it's "off".

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

This is just down the road from me I am so tempted to nip down and have a mooch. But at the current bid price I am not sure it stacks up for the parts as that is all I would want it for.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

I love the addition at the bottom of the advert, 'getting pangs of remorse' , strange to have such pangs for a car that appears to have been sat in his yard for 8.5years.

Oh and if whoever buys the car is reading this, I've got some of the bits you'll need to put it back on the road. Just check out the shop.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by wrinx View Post
    Well, it's got some bidders now and hopefully it'll be sorted rather than parted out...for me, it'd all depend on how much damage was sustained during it's "off".

wrinx
    You have taken a look at some of the pics I stuck up in an earlier post haven't you?

Whether or not you can bend the sub-frame without bending the shell I'm not sure, thats part of the reason why I've posted all these details.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Yes...I was referring to the roof crease, makes me wonder if there's more in store than the pictures can show.

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Did anyone on here buy it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Default Q4 Buyer

Hi there,
    In answer to your question, for better or for worse, I am the buyer of the car, and it was in much worse condition than what the seller stated it was. He wasn't really straight or honest as to the true condition, or the true story of the car.
    It's not too much of a problem as I'm planning to build it into a race car anyway. I have built several cars before, a nice Facsimile trials car, and a Porsche 924 for the one make race series, so I've got a pretty good idea of the work that's involved, but I do wish the seller had been more honest in his eBay listing.
    I am a new forum user, and not very good with it yet, so please bear with me, but is it possible to send the pictures to my personal email address? I may as well print them off, and put it in a folder with all the history of the car, I suppose even dubious history is worth having!....
    If so my email address is colin@superformance.co.uk
    My main reason for registering was to seek help with information to start preparing the car, I plan to strip and acid dip the shell, before starting work on it, obviously from what I've just read I'm going to have to jig it as well to check it's straight.
    From reading the AROC race regulations on the BRSCC site, being turbo charged it looks like I've got to enter it in class A, in which it appears pretty much anything goes as it seems to be the open class for those who want to build a special car. With that in mind can anyone point me in the direct of obtaining a race replica body kit for the car? I'm sure to buy a body kit off the shelf would be the easiest option, or even to who originally built the cars back in the day, they may still have the moulds for the race bodywork. I still haven't decided to go for the more adventurous DTM look, or the more straightforward BTCC look, but in reality it will end up being decided by what's available as that will have such an implication on the cost of preparing the shell.
    If moulds are available I've got a very good fiberglass guy, so I can reproduce the quite easily, he's not necessarily the cheapest, but he is very good.
    So that's my first question, for stage one, if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.
    Also does anyone know if new body panels are available anywhere?
    All the best, from a man who knows he just taken on a ton of work and expense!......
    Colin

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Welcome Colin,
    Great that you have joined up here - it really is the home of the Q4.
    There will be lots of advice coming your way I am sure.
    For now, wishing you luck and keep us posted on development - we like progress pictures!
    Jack

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Oh, and I just saw the Car you drive in the profile. Masser QP!.....amazing how you can dislike someone so quickly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by wobbs View Post
    Hi there,
    From reading the AROC race regulations on the BRSCC site, being turbo charged it looks like I've got to enter it in class A, in which it appears pretty much anything goes as it seems to be the open class for those who want to build a special car. Colin
    Hi

Racing seems the way to go with the car. The AROC regs seem unfavourable (being polite) to a Q4 in that they force you into the 'monster' class just because it has a turbo. No equivalence factor allowing you to run a less modified car with thye V6's seems very harsh.

It would be worth contact them to see if regs for 2013 have been drawn up as subtle changes could affect the direction you take. I'd love to race mine but as you say the costs involved with getting it to that spec would be mega. I expect class A includes old WTCC cars and the like, they'll take some beating.

Not a helpful reply from me I know, anyhow welcome and it'll be great to see the cars development.