I decided (wrongly) to wash the engine bay of my car the other day. I was relieved when it started back up afterwards and drove home happy.

Until the little git started splluttering about halfway home and then cut out.

The issue appears to be fuel pump related, I can always hear it at start up but now it is silent. There have been a few times where it buzzes in and out but its not consistent. I could also hear the pumps relay clicking in and out as the pump pumped/stopped.

My initial method of 'letting it dry out and keeping my fingers crossed' has somewhat unsurprisingly not worked out and the car still has the same problem after a couple of days.

The manuals on here only list troubleshooting diagnosis for Twin sparks and V6's (unless i'm being a moron) and as they have a different system it isn't exactly helpful.

Does anyone know where i might find the proper bit of the manual? Or have any advice on where to start looking for the fault? Everything else electrical appears to be working correctly and the car did run fine for about 3 minutes yesterday before breaking down again during a rather ambitious test drive and leaving me a dejected 10 minute walk home.

Any advice would be helpful otherwise i'll probably lose my mind trying to blindly look for the fault in a very crowded (albeit now clean) engine bay.