View Poll Results: Parts consortium, good or bad idea?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good idea, I'm interested.

21 91.30%
  • Bad idea, I'm out.

2 8.70%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Default Parts consortium idea.

Hi chaps, this is something that I have been thinking about for quite a while now.

We all know that getting parts for the 155 and Q4 is getting tricky these days, and when the parts come up for sale the chances are that you don't need it at that moment.
    When you do need the parts, you can't find them anymore.

So just what is this idea I've got then?

Its a consortium, where whoever wants to join, stumps up a small amount of cash to put into a fund. This fund is then used to buy up parts as and when they become available.

Then if a member of the consortium needs one of the parts bought, they can then purchase the part from the consortium for the original price it was bought for.

These parts can also be offered for sale to non members, for a premium, to help boost the value of the fund to buy additional parts.

Doing this would help with the availability of parts when members needed them.

So what do you all think, I've added a poll so you can just vote rather than write out a reply, so please make your feelings known.

The more people who got involved would mean the less money per person to get the scheme off the ground.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4: Dozeing in the garage.
    2009 Audi A4 tdi: Everyday drive.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 , 1995cc Std Standard Black

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

One positive vote here.

Cristian
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Engine parts wise I think we are very well catered for but it is those rarer parts like the gearbox, diffs, petrol tank that can be a problem.

It is still a good idea but hard to manage I think...especially when judging who is in greater need of a particular part.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

To be honest, for a start, due to the number of people on the forum and size of fund possible I was thinking more along the lines of those smaller hard to find items that tend to come up on ebay and the like every now and then. But of course if there is a big enough response and it looks like the fund could cope with larger value items, then things like subframes / petrol tanks and Q4 specific items could be catered for.

As for priority over parts, then that could be tricky, but I'm sure something could be worked out, thats part of the reason I'm voicing the idea here before trying to take things any further.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Good idea.

Have you spoken to the Lancia Beta boyZ who appear to have done much the same things and formed in effect a lancia beta consortium version of alfaholics in terms of parts sourcing if that makes sense.

http://www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk/

count me in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I think its a god idea. Probably need to get to the detail when interest has been gauged, but positive here
    Drivers:
    - Red 155 Q4 Winny
    - Red 33 16v
    - Green 33 16v SW
    - Mrs Wombat Freelander

Projects:
    - Various Alfa 33s

Awaiting a grand re-awakening:
    - Red 75 3.0 Cloverleaf
    - The Wombat winter Freelander

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Count me in

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I am a bit reserved on this. I think it's a good idea, but it all depents on the way things are worked out. I am neither in or out, I guess a maybe.
    In a world full of compromise...
    ...some don't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Positive vote from me also, but like Brul(tm) things and (rules) would need to be quite straightforward. I've been looking for a n/s electric mirror and it's like rocking horse poo And a new one is €275. But a good idea I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by the wombat View Post
    I think its a god idea. Probably need to get to the detail when interest has been gauged, but positive here
    +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I'm in but it's the cost???
    Alfa 155 Q4 skinny
    Alfa 155 2.0 8v skinny rolling shell being cut up to repair the Q4
    Alfa 155 black wb coupe 20vt engine STAYING NOW
    Alfa 155 White widey soon to be 20vt
    Alfa 155 2.5 v6 white skinny NEXT FOR SALE

Will build alfa 155 or 145 into 20vt or 16vt or diesel's or selepeed's pm me

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by arguti View Post
    Good idea.

Have you spoken to the Lancia Beta boyZ who appear to have done much the same things and formed in effect a lancia beta consortium version of alfaholics in terms of parts sourcing if that makes sense.

http://www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk/

count me in.
    Not spoken to them yet, but you are right it would be a good idea to, to find out the pitfalls etc.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by the wombat View Post
    Well that was the main idea of voicing the idea. To see if people like it and would be interested, and if so then go on to start bashing out the details.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

So then, seeing as its been a good to fair response so far, what are the main points that we need to clear up?

Here are a couple of points from me to begin with:

1. How much would people be expected to stump up?
    2. What would a persons investment entitle them to?
    3. Are the parts restricted to members or open to all?
    4. How to deal with people who want to leave the scheme.
    5. What sort of parts to focus on.

If you all add other questions, I'll start putting together a proper proposal type document that we can discus.

Everyone feel free to speak up with ANY concerns, if we do go ahead with something like this it will need to be done right from the start.

mpampis_ is offline Running smoothly
    OP of the best thread of the year 2012
    Best Modified car of the year 2012
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

A positive vote from me too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

yeah this could work out good for all concerned could be up for this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

voted but not commented, you can count me in.

regards
    "Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Right I've fleshed out the original idea with a few more thoughts/details in the attached pdf.

Please be aware that this is not meant as any sort of final document, everything in the pdf is up for discussion.

Please take a look and let me know whats right/wrong.

Cheers
    Attached Files Attached Files

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Further thinking on this I believe that it could be run on either a club or business model.
    Regardless of which method, I wouldn't want to be the person in overall control of things, I'd feel much happier if there were at least one, preferably 2 other people involved at the highest level.

So a couple of additional questions, which model do you think would work best for the project, club or business? And if anyone feels like they would like to get more involved in the setting up and running of this, please drop me a pm.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

It will require a more deep analysis, but I guess there is always the option to organize a BS group buy for performance items (i.e. brakes, suspension, etc) which means to collect money from members for a certain specific part.
    However, In my opinion, the Consortium should be restricted to Q4 parts plus other parts that Q4s have in common with other 155s which are difficult to find (mirrors? etc).
    In any case, believe that to assign kind of a membership will be a good step to benefit those who have commitment to support the project. Membership lets say EUR100 /150 (?) non refundable
    Parts to be offered among members at cost price or to other BS participants with a mark up (in case no members are seeking for that part)
    Not easy to decide though how to manage a situation in which 2 or more members require a part which we have just one in stock....in favour of the oldest one?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Juan ALZAGA View Post
    It will require a more deep analysis, but I guess there is always the option to organize a BS group buy for performance items (i.e. brakes, suspension, etc) which means to collect money from members for a certain specific part.
    That is certainly one way the consortium could help out. It would help speed things along if there was already money available to purchase group buy items, rather than have to chase people up for cash before placing a firm order. Certainly with the Quick-shift kits getting the money from people took a while.

However, In my opinion, the Consortium should be restricted to Q4 parts plus other parts that Q4s have in common with other 155s which are difficult to find (mirrors? etc).
    Absolutely, as Jack pointed out certain parts for the Q4 are still readily available, so there is no point going for things like this, or for anything that isn't useful for the Q4.
    Trying to cater for too broad an audience will mean spreading ourselves too thin.

In any case, believe that to assign kind of a membership will be a good step to benefit those who have commitment to support the project. Membership lets say EUR100 /150 (?) non refundable
    Parts to be offered among members at cost price or to other BS participants with a mark up (in case no members are seeking for that part)
    I was thinking on a figure less than that to be honest, but that is something up for discussion.
    To high a figure and not enough people will take part, too low and it won't raise enough money to make it viable.
    The 'membership' amount will need to take into account the benefits that members will get from the scheme, namely availability of parts.

Not easy to decide though how to manage a situation in which 2 or more members require a part which we have just one in stock....in favour of the oldest one?
    Well I am planning that all parts held by the consortium will be displayed in an online shop, with one price for members, and a higher price for non-members.

As a slight aside, whilst looking around for parts that could be bought and held by the consortium, I've found a genuine new Q4 thermostat. Now as far as I know no-one needs one at the moment, but at sometime in the future someone on here will be looking for one.
    That is the perfect item to be bought up by the consortium, hard to find and never available when you need it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

The focus of purchases should be in Q4 specific, hard to find parts. Maybe alternatively made-to-order parts (arb's, brakes, suspension, cams etc.), but the focus should be original parts. I think possible profits would be minimal so therefore I support the idea of set price to get in, for example €100. Consortium members should also get bank balance info (maybe twice a year). All profit should be invested in new parts.

How about good secondhand parts? I've for example few hard to find parts for a 155. What if a consortium member wants to sell to the consortium? The collective sets the price?

Other suggestion would be to make a "short-list" of existent needs of potential members and an open list of rare parts.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Some good points Finn, all things that I've thought about already but not yet put down in a post.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    The focus of purchases should be in Q4 specific, hard to find parts. Maybe alternatively made-to-order parts (arb's, brakes, suspension, cams etc.), but the focus should be original parts.
    I think this is the general consensus of everyone, focus on Q4 parts, with of course the overlap parts shared with the rest of the 155 range, wing mirrors, fog lights and trim etc.
    Finding new old stock should be a priority but good second hand parts should also be considered.

I think possible profits would be minimal so therefore I support the idea of set price to get in, for example €100. Consortium members should also get bank balance info (maybe twice a year). All profit should be invested in new parts.
    I agree with you here, the main objective of the consortium is to increase parts availability to members, not make money.

This is the second time that €100 has been mentioned, that was at the top end of the figure I was thinking about, so, what do other people think if this figure?

And as for reporting, yes either twice a year, or once a quarter, a set of accounts should be produced stating what has been sold, what has been bought and how much money is in the fund. An inventory of all stock held should be published at the same time.

How about good secondhand parts? I've for example few hard to find parts for a 155. What if a consortium member wants to sell to the consortium? The collective sets the price?
    As I mentioned above, yes we should consider good second hand parts, provided that they can be checked out to make sure they work.
    If a member of the consortium has parts to sell, then I would suggest that they are sold directly via the consortium for the price that the seller wants, with a small commission fee paid to the consortium, say 5%. (or whatever we can agree on)
    Thats to say that the consortium member who owns the part, sells it directly to the buyer, gets paid directly by the buyer and sends directly to the buyer. Then just pays a small amount of commission to the consortium.

Other suggestion would be to make a "short-list" of existent needs of potential members and an open list of rare parts.
    Absolutely, there ought to be a Hot-list of parts that we think will be needed by members in the future, parts to keep an eye out for.
    Members should suggest parts for the consortium to buy when they are spotted for sale.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Just as an aside to all of this, should we decide to go ahead with the consortium I dug around in the garage today to see what parts I've got lying around.

Turns out its more than I thought. So this lot could go straight in to stock.

• BC 90225 Heater fan resistor pack
    • LHD Heater matrix and valve
    • Aerial amplifier
    • Front fog light switch and automatic suspension buttons in panel
    • Overhead console for cars with sunroof, including rear view mirror
    • Bosch 0265 005 014 accelerometer (for electronic suspension)
    • Bosch 0265 005 017 accelerometer (for electronic suspension)
    • ABS Control box. (located under rear seat base)
    • Dash top air vent
    • Gear lever surround
    • Gear knob
    • Radio surround and coin tray
    • Ash tray and cigarette lighter
    • Front fog lights, both sides
    • Full standard electronic suspension setup.

Not sure how rare or needed any of that is, but it would make as start to stock.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I'll be happy to do some storing of bits
    Alfa 155 Q4 skinny
    Alfa 155 2.0 8v skinny rolling shell being cut up to repair the Q4
    Alfa 155 black wb coupe 20vt engine STAYING NOW
    Alfa 155 White widey soon to be 20vt
    Alfa 155 2.5 v6 white skinny NEXT FOR SALE

Will build alfa 155 or 145 into 20vt or 16vt or diesel's or selepeed's pm me