Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Default Rear suspension.

With prop-shaft and transaxle out of the way it was only sensible that I drop the rear suspension so I could a) get a good look at it, b) replace all the bushes, c) get better access to the floor of the car to spruce it up.

First off I stripped the trim from the boot so I could get a good look at all the corners in there. Also it gave me access to the top bolts of the rear dampers, and revealed why one of the rear wings was a little wavy!

Apart from a little surface rust the boot looks good. Just need to break out the hair dryer and scraper to get rid of the bitumen matting.

The rest of the boot looks good to. Even if it is in baby-sick green.

The reason for the wavy rear wing, the lower section has been cut out at some point in the past and replaced (badly)

The wing from the outside with its wavy swage line.

No stuck or seized bolts so it was very straightforward to disconnect the watts linkage, dampers and anti-roll bar, and drop the frame to the floor on jacks.

It looks like the lower spring mounts will need a little work, not sure if the holes are down to rust or rubbing.

With all that out the way, its just the fuel tank and a few pipes and the underside is clear.

Looks pretty good, no major rust and certainly no holes.

Even the springs look in good condition. Don't think they will be reused though. One thing I want this car to do is handle, so new bushes \ springs \ roll bars all round.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4: Dozeing in the garage.
    2009 Audi A4 tdi: Everyday drive.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 , 1995cc Std Standard Black

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Nice pics - reminds of the work ahead of me...