Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Default Transmission work.

Finally had some time to get stuck into the GTV today. Jobs on the list were to remove the prop-shaft and transaxle so I can get a good look at them.

First off I got the car nice and high on axle stands, none of those fancy 4 post lifts over here I'm afraid. Getting the GTV onto stands is far easier than the Q4 due to the central jacking points front and rear.

Getting the exhaust off wasn't too hard, it only got interesting when I was undoing the bolts from underneath the car and needed to stop the bolts turning as well.
    Once off the front part of the exhaust looked in pretty good condition, well certainly not as bad as the back box.

With that out the way getting the prop-shaft out wasn't too bad. Luckily sometime in the past I picked up a haynes manual for the Alfetta, which covers the oily bits of the GTV.
    With the prop-shaft on the floor I could get a good look at the overall condition.

As you can see the front donut is completely gone, the rear is split in a number of places, and the center seems to be ok. There is play in the center support bearing, so its going to get a full overhaul with 3 new donuts and new support.

With the prop-shaft out of the way, I was halfway to getting the gearbox out, so I cracked on. Not too big a job, just a little interesting when it comes to dropping it down on a trolley jack.

The gearbox oil looked like it had never been changed, and there was a good amount of swarf on the magnetic drain plug.

I'm probably overlooking something obvious, but why would there be 2 electrical connectors on the gearbox, 1 for reverse I guess, but what about the other one?
    Oh and the speedo cable is just a push fit!

With all that out the way I could get a good look at the underside, pretty good overall, just needs a tidy up I think.

All in all a good afternoon, no more seized bolts and I somehow have managed to keep all the skin on my knuckles.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4: Dozeing in the garage.
    2009 Audi A4 tdi: Everyday drive.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 , 1995cc Std Standard Black

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

You are exactly right about the sensors.
    One is for the reverse gear lights and the other is for the speedometer.

Is your speedometer sensor attached directly to your speedo or to a box? (in some 75 versions you can find it under the rear seat and some of them don't have this part.)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by rumbler View Post
    You are exactly right about the sensors.
    One is for the reverse gear lights and the other is for the speedometer.
    Don't think it is, I've got 2 electrical switches on the gearbox, plus a mechanical drive for the speedo. Strange.

Anyway this evening I started cleaning up the transaxle, first job was digging out all the mud and oil that was stuck in the various corners. Then a quick jetwash to get all the loose stuff off.
    I picked up some degreaser/cleaner today, but as soon as I opened it I knew it would be useless. I've used Gunk in the past and that stuff takes your head off. The liquid I bought was eco friendly and didn't have much of an aroma. Turns out its next to useless for cleaning all the old oil away.

Digging out all the crap.

After a jetwash and 'degrease'

The only other thing that got done was the removal of the fuel tank, firstly to check it out, and secondly so I can get access to the whole floor of the car.
    First surprise was that there was 20L of fuel still in the tank.
    How long its been in there is anyones guess. It may even be 4* rather than unleaded. Either way its going to be well past its best, so will get used for garden tools.

Like everything else about the car the tank seems to be in bloody good condition.

The only issue is that the electrical tabs on the sender unit have broken off, and the sender unit inside the tank has broken up.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4: Dozeing in the garage.
    2009 Audi A4 tdi: Everyday drive.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 , 1995cc Std Standard Black