Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Default Nanny state technology.

Whilst driving in the cold weather recently I noticed a couple of times that the warning light for the power steering came on at startup in the 500.
    Not only the warning light, but also a full on warning message stating 'Check power steering, refer to handbook' scrolling across the dashboard.
    Bugger, first problem with the 500 I initially thought, but on looking closer it seems that if the system sees a low voltage in the power steering system during startup it activates the warning. So the cold weather, plus not using the 500 much recently means the battery wasn't at its best and we got the message. No real problem just a moment of anxiety and a large warning light on the dash that clears itself when you stop and restart the car.

Things like this really annoy me as guess what the handbook says, yep thats right, seeks assistance at the dealer. So is this just a case of nanny state motoring or a money making rouse by the manufacturer?

Similarly when the ABS cuts in the hazard warning lights activate, fine if you are doing an emergency stop, but pretty annoying if you are just driving enthusiastically.

Really do need to take the 500 out more though, its only done 17500 km in the last 3 years and 10 months.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4: Dozeing in the garage.
    2009 Audi A4 tdi: Everyday drive.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 , 1995cc Std Standard Black

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Webb View Post
    So the cold weather, plus not using the 500 much recently means the battery wasn't at its best and we got the message. No real problem just a moment of anxiety and a large warning light on the dash that clears itself when you stop and restart the car.

Really do need to take the 500 out more though, its only done 17500 km in the last 3 years and 10 months.
    I think i'ts normal as the same happen in my wife's Brera, my GTA and my fiend 159, errors all aroud about various systems (especially asr, abs etc)
    and after charging battery and clearing errors in body computer no more erros at all.
    but if you are a normal car user, this could led you very quickly to dealer service.... who knows what wil be the diagnosis

and by the way i've made 9687km for past 3 years in GTA... and 17000 km on bike

regards

Suzumushi
    "Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."