Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by hf hpe View Post
    I miss post N10
    Yes with this mod it is possible to fit pad right.
    You do not see the post number 10 of this thread?!? Or just the fotos of the post?

The TrackDay is over. My Q4 has done it well. Also the Brakes were fine all the time... NO OVERHEATING of them!

BTW: At the end of the day the servo pump is nearly dead (I think it overheated)
    and I'm afraid I'll have to buy new tyres soon...

Best regards, Martin
    Alfa Romeo - La bellezza non basta!

per il mio divertimento: Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 '93 nero --> Garage
    per l'estate: Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 V6 24V '97 rosso alfa --> Garage in arrivo
    per l'inverno: Fiat Cinquecento Sporting '98 nero
    per la mia moglie: Alfa Romeo 156 SW 1.8 T.S. '02 nero met. --> Garage in arrivo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Hi, I'm new here, and that's my first post. I like the forum very much, i think that it's very helpful.

So here it is my question. Why didn't you mod the schenk holes (the ones that the caliper bolts on), because they're made of iron which is stronger then the aluminium of the calipers?
    Last edited by Da_Fuse; 22-09-12 at 19:36.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Fuse View Post
    Hi, I'm new here, and that's my first post. I like the forum very much, i think that it's very helpful.

So here it is my question. Why didn't you mod the schenk holes (the ones that the caliper bolts on), because they're made of iron which is stronger then the aluminium of the calipers?
    Do you mean modify the holes on the hub to fit the new calipers?
    Part of the reason for these brackets is to enable the use of larger disks, so the calipers need to be moved further out from the hub. (305mm disks usually instead of the regular 284mm)
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4: Dozeing in the garage.
    2009 Audi A4 tdi: Everyday drive.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 , 1995cc Std Standard Black

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

No, no, I didn't mean to modify the holes of the hub. I ment that for me when you use the 166 calipers it safer not to modify the caliper, which is made of aluminium(like the colegue did in post #10), but to modify the holes on the schenk for the old caliper , because the schenk it's made of iron, and it is stronger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Hi!

Sorry, I don't know what you mean with...

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Fuse View Post
    to modify the holes on the schenk for the old caliper
    Could you please try to explain it with other words, or pics probably?!?

BTW: I made this mod of the brembo calipers in order to fit under 16" rims.
    It would have been also possible to make brackets which need NO mod of calipers and NO mod of the hub, but then they wouldn't fit under 16" rims because the calipers would be a little more (about 4mm radial) outside of the wheel center (and the brake disc, of course).

Best regards, Martin

per la mia moglie: Alfa Romeo 156 SW 1.8 T.S. '02 nero met. --> Garage in arrivo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Ok, so there is a misunderstanding....

For me schenk is the part on which holds on the shock absorber, the loin and the rake thаt you turn with, and hub is the spinning part with the holes that you bolt the brake disc and after that the wheel... so.... Maybe Hub for you and schenk for me is the same part... or I'm wrong...

I ment that for me it's safer to mode the holes of the HUB/schenk that you mount the bracket for the new caliper ), than to mode the caliper which is made from aluminium... Now I'll post an image to be clear...

Photo... http://dafuse.snimka.bg/automobiles/...4.28535076.big
    Last edited by Da_Fuse; 24-09-12 at 07:15. Reason: I can't uplod the photo, I don't know why...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Hi!

So, it's clear now. As we say an austria: "One picture tells more than 1000 words"... Thanks!

Yes, it would have been possible to modify the hub/schenk and probably it would have been the safer way. But I'm not that sure...
    I decided to modify the calipers because of three reasons:
    - The left material around the holes of the hub/schenk would have been very thin after modification.
    - A modification out of the car seems always easier to me. I had the calipers out and not the hubs/schenks.
    - As you can see at the pictures of post #10 the material of the caliper around the 2 holes is hardly affected. Just the material between.

And there is no problem during use of the car till yet.

I had the complete breakes out of the car last week and inspected all components of it. Everything is fine, went back to the car and works well.

Best regards,

Martin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Thanks for the reply, i'm still considering of moding the schenk instead of the calipers, because of the reasons that I've submited before and because of one other reason - here in BG these schenk's are much cheaper then the 166 brembo calipers, and it would be easier for me to buy new schenks than to buy a new celipers... Or maybe I'll mod a little bit of both...

P.S. Fochista, I've asked you at your other thread about the brackets, for a drawing or at least a dimentions... if you please, I'd be glad if you post these. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Da_Fuse; 25-09-12 at 21:47.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

I'm sure a link to the brackets has been posted before...I'll have a search.

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Both bracket drawing that I'm aware of are linked in this thread:

http://forum.berlinasportivo.com/showthread.php?t=1955

But I'm not sure if the more complex design is the one used by Fochista???

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I have a detailed drawings of these that you've posted wrinx, an unfortunately they are not the ones that Fochista uses. His brackets are the right ones and are better then these from the many threds through the internet.

P.S. Though thank you for the post wrinx.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

No worries Wasn't sure they were the same anyway

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Hi all!

It costed me an arm and a leg (of time) to get this design. Therefore I don't like to upload the drawing anywhere to the internet, sorry.

I can and WILL give you support with your own design... here we go...

My brackets are based on the drawing which is already known here in the forum and also in this thread. It looks almost similar...

The axial offset between the mounting surface of the shenk and the surface of the bracket is 8,7mm That's why I used 20mm thickness of the brackets, because they are about 11mm thick then. That's almost the same thickness as the flaps on the shenk have and it's enough for the thread M12x1,25 in steel.

The radial offset between the holes of the shenk and the holes for the caliper ist 16.5mm If you would like to use 16" rims, you are forced to use this measurements. If you use 17" rims you may design brackets with about 21mm radial offset instead of 16.5mm, as you have place enough... Then you need not to modify the calipers or the shenk. But maybe you can use 330mm disks (from lancia delta 3) then and make brackets for these discs...

Now to the shenk modification:
    I think it's not a good idea, because you would have to cut metal at the red lines and maybe also at the yellow line... At the red line you would weaken the thickness of the flaps at about half to the normal measurement... At the yellow line you would weaken the housing of the wheel bearing...

Please note:
    - The "original black speedlines" need a 25mm spacer (at each side)!!! Then it looks like on the 3rd picture. And I drive a negative camber of 2.5 degrees on the front axle!!!
    - OZ Superturismo GT 7Jx16 does only fit with 15mm spacer!!!

By the way: This bracket also fits the 155 V6

With best regards, Martin
    Attached Images Attached Images