Thread: LSD Rebuild

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Default LSD Rebuild

I thought I'd post this up as much as a reminder to myself as anything else.

Dragged the LSD out of the transaxle this afternoon, to take a look at what makes it tick and how worn it was.

This is where it comes out from. Dead easy to extract with the unit on the bench with everything disconnected.

Once all the bolts are out, the cover comes off and the diff can just be pulled out.

First look at it on the bench and it looks in pretty good condition.

The diff is opened up by jyst removing the ring of bolts on the top of the unit.

Pulling it all apart, all the cross / clutch plates look to be in good condition and the thrust washers don't seem all that worn.

I've not checked the thickness of each plate, but I guess they are going to be thinner than they should be. I'll also be replacing 2 of the plates to get the 47% lockup as well.

Given that the thickness of the plates influences the amount of slip, I was wondering if the thickness of the thrust washer can also be used to get the desired amount of drag between the plates? It doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4: Dozeing in the garage.
    2009 Audi A4 tdi: Everyday drive.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 , 1995cc Std Standard Black

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

you can easily purchase a used whole transaxle unit from ebay at that price...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

The problem with 75 LSDs now is that they will all be well worn so I guess the odds of getting hold of a unit with thick plates is getting pretty slim. Thats why I questioned using a thicker/additional thrust washer in the unit to get the correct amount of slip.
    I still want a second unit though to get the extra toothed plates I need for the 47% slip.