Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Default Clutch slave and Master cylinder change.

Reposting this as it got lost in the great forum cockup of 2010-2011.

Clutch pedal went to the floor so it was time to replace the master cylinder, in for a penny and all that, so I'll replace the slave cylinder at the same time.

Here are the parts involved:

Firstly its time to remove some trim to get access to the master cylinder:

There isn't much space under there so first job is to bodge up a hose clamp for the hose from the fluid reservoir to the master cylinder:

And now with the clamp in place:

Time to release the hose from the reservoir to master cylinder, and from master to slave cylinder. The only problem being that the pipe between the cylinders is totally seized, add to that the it looks in pretty poor condition.
    Time to chop it out and worry about it later.

The slave is held in place by an external circlip, this was prised out of the way and after a wiggle the slave cylinder is out:

The master was removed by unbolting inside the car then pulling a little of the pipe through and chopping it. Both cylinders are now out and put next to the new ones to check they are the same:

Onto the chopped pipe next.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4: Dozeing in the garage.
    2009 Audi A4 tdi: Everyday drive.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 , 1995cc Std Standard Black

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Master to slave pipe.

First in a fit of optimism its down to the local Alfa dealership to see if they can still get hold of the pipe needed.
    No such luck, out of production so its time to improvise. The pipework needs to be flexible as the engine and gearbox will move in relation to the master cylinder. You could put a couple of coils into a solid pipe to address this, but I don't like this solution.
    A single length of flexible hose would be a good solution, but I can't find a supplier of the correctly sized end fittings.

So its time to make up 2 short lengths of solid pipe, connected by a flexible hose:

Parts needed

Cutting the Goodridge flexible hose was actually pretty tricky, the external braiding is pretty tough. I found the easiest was was with a pair of tin-snips. The hose uses a compression joint for the end fittings, so it all went together very easily.

The solid pipework is just straightforward brake style flares. Preparing the pipe correctly and making sure everything is tight is the order of the day when making the flares. As well as making sure you put the nuts on before you make the flare.

So 3 separate pipes:

Which when put together look like this next to the old pipe:

Next step is put it back on the car.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Very neat solution

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I have a teflon hose, full response function!

mint

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

What size hose did you go for? And what make is it? I couldn't find the correct sized end fittings when I was looking around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I don't know about sizes, I let my old hose into a company that does it and they made identical but instead of rubber was the teflon hose...
    I paid between 8-9 eur.

what's the problem with your hose? must be of such companies in your town which do that?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

The pipe was seized at both ends when I replaced the cylinders. I've made a replacement up myself, 2 solid parts with a flexible section. I would have prefered to use a complete flexible hose but couldn't find the end connectors in the correct size (M12x1)

The new hose seems to be working fine, it was the first time in months today that the car moved out of the garage under its own steam.