Thread: Q4 tuning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Default Q4 tuning

Is this Fiat Coupe guide pretty much all applicable to the Q4?
    http://www.fccuk.org/forum/ubbthread...051#Post154051

Is it true that the management can't interpret over 1.5 BAR of boost even with a 3 BAR MAP sensor?
    Any ways round this?

Also does the Q4 not run Weber Marelli Level 8 management?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

You can make the Q4 ECU work with any MAP sensor, but you have to program the ECU for that (see elsewhere on this site). To do this you will need a rom emulator or similar.

jim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Basically, the head won't flow much more than 250-300 bhp, unless you up the boost a lot. Faster outlet cams only work when you flow the head properly. Read elsewhere here on what intercoolers to fit and what not.

The proper way to do this (on a street car) is to either program the ECU for every mod you make (make a chip or have one made) or get a programmable system with boost controller integrated. Using a separate boost controller with the stock ECU will give you a lot of adaption "challenges" and a lot of the safeties in the ECU won't work anymore. It will give you results, it's cheaper than a full new ECU, but it's not the most optimal solution.

Doing power modifications to your Q4 is addictive and will get progressively more expensive. I'd stick with a pop-off upgrade, better air filter (BMC-CDA) and a Squadra chip if you want to keep the budget in check. Maybe get a tubular manifold and a 3" stainless exhaust as the next step. If done properly, you will get 250+ wheel BHP from that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Does the Q4 run weber marinelli level 8 management?

If it does then the likes of Motorsport Development would be able to live map it....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

The Macaroni Spaghetti P8 is not stock on the Q4. Stu at Motorsport Development will be able to live map the Q4 just fine with stock management. I know he has a lot of experience with the P8 because they were used in the XR4i and he's the god of Magneti Marelli P8 in the UK if you ask any Ford owner. Just because he knows P8, doesn't mean he doesn't know most other ECUs as well. He's a very skilled all-round engine and ECU tuner and will have no problems mapping a P4 in a Q4 at all.

Don't bother converting your Q4 to P8, it's just as much trouble as converting to any aftermarket ECU like a MegaSquirt, Emerald, KMS, MoTec or whatever brand you can think of. Given the choice, I'd rather go for one of the more modern ECUs that "any decent guy" can tune in stead of the obscure P8.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

What management does the Q4 come with if it isn't that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Either a P4 or a P8. After you asked I looked it up and it appears to be a P8, the 4W6 is just the version. Regardless, Stu is a good and very skillful guy and if anyone can do a decent map it's him. I know you both have done work for fastford, so you maybe already met him? It's worth reading his articles, they give a lot of very useful information on (chip)tuning a car. I would recommend doing so before getting your car tuned, regardless of what car and where you are going for a remap. It helps give you proper expectations and you will spot a "bad" tuner a lot easier.