Thread: Transmission

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Default Transmission

How fussy is the Q4 transmission to differing speeds on the front and rear axles?

For example, could you run different sized tyres front and rear?
    I know the Sierra system doesn't allow this, but some others do.

Also could you safely lock up the rear wheels with for example a hydraulic handbrake to initiate a drift in a Q4 without damaging the transmission?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Ade View Post
    How fussy is the Q4 transmission to differing speeds on the front and rear axles?

Also could you safely lock up the rear wheels with for example a hydraulic handbrake to initiate a drift in a Q4 without damaging the transmission?
    As copied from .org:

I know that a Q4 can not be towed unless all 4 wheels are on the ground and I believe the same size wheels and tyres should be used all round. I think otherwise the viscous coupling will wear out.

That said I don't know to what limit that premature wear will set it. I have tyres on the back with 8mm tread and one the front only about 3mm. I don't know if it would react to the smallest of differences like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I wouldn't use a Q4 for drifting, the rear diff is a torsen and they don't appreciate that. You could put a dedra diff in (locks with lever) or a plate LSD if you want to do that kind of thing. I have no idea what will break first, after you do that. It could be the planetary gears, but also the visco center diff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Ade View Post

The short answer is no.

Only transmissions with an open centre diff could be used like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Well, I believe you could remove the visco-clutch, which is the main issue. Many 4WD cars have an open centre-diff and for tarmac use you will probably feel no difference. Then off course it is a matter of constant, instead of occasional, planetary rotation. It is not the purpose of the design, but a few percent rotational speed would probably be totally ok.