Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Holy thread resurrection!

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Time to resurrect this thread again.

Not strictly me doing it, but the Q4 has almost got its new subframe, fuel tank straps, and a coating of underseal. Just a small amount of welding too.

20170622_145759.jpg

20170622_145827.jpg
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4: Dozeing in the garage.
    2009 Audi A4 tdi: Everyday drive.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 , 1995cc Std Standard Black

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Rebuilding the exhaust... Still have the breakproblem and the mysterius waterleek...
    Crister Borg
    Kalmar, Sweden
    Alfa Romeo 155 q4 -93

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

What have you done with the Exhaust? Thats next on the list for mine after I've got it back on the road.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Finally got a chance to look at the car tonight. I couldn't find the ABS diagnostic plug anywhere (any tips appreciated) but i did find a crushed sensor wire under a bracket which may have been shorting. I have done a quick test fix with some lever connectors that I had laying around (been installing some garden lighting lately).

Hopefully I will be able to give it a test tomorrow.

Also, I may have found my leaking PS fluid - the union in to the pump was a touch loose so nipped that up.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

So did that fix it @AlfaJack ?

I (briefly) had a 33 P4 that had a power steering leak that made the previous owner remove the belt for the pump and drain the fluid. Turned out the leak was just lose connection between a couple of pipes. New belt, new fluid and a tighten on the connection and power steering restored.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I have only driven about 10-15 miles and did not have any random ABS intervention so I hope it is fixed. I will have to make a more permanent solution soon.
    I have not checked the PS for further leaks as yet - just have to hope! It did sound a bit whiny but it may still be a touch low in fluid after it re-bled through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Webb View Post
    What have you done with the Exhaust? Thats next on the list for mine after I've got it back on the road.
    Oops, still havent fix it but Im building a 2,5" exhaust with racecat and 3" downpipe, all in stainless steel. I havent done annything in a year.
    1234.jpg
    Crister Borg
    Kalmar, Sweden
    Alfa Romeo 155 q4 -93

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

A few updates. Inlet all back together after changing the gearbox link bushes and the PS pipes and a gearbox oil change):

Handbrake cables removed for renewal along with all the wheels (one of which was seized up):

Next up, removal of prop shaft to replace middle support rubber with some Sikaflex 252 and possibly the bearing:

This nut was finger tight!

Chop off the old rubber:

Cleaned up lower gearbox support (absolutely caked in oily crud):

These bushes are a bit suspect - not sure whether to look for a replacement or not. Its a really easy job so I may try and film it with a mini camera whilst driving and see how they flex under load.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Whilst waiting for the rust converter to dry in and around the rear jacking points I took the fan and exhaust manifold off to get to a leaking oil vapour drain which has been leaking for many years now - it looks like the seal had been crushed:

New seals are on the way:

On the fan, whilst moving this wire a bit of the insulation just pinged off:

Being repaired (I may put a bit of glue around the base too as I can see moisture creeping in otherwise):

The heat shield got a bit mangled - will be looking for some foil insulation to fix this:

The frame for the fan was very crusty too so that's all be cleaned up for painting.

Worst news was that the turbo shaft has quite a lot of play - not enough for it to touch the housing but it won't be long. It might also explain why it can be a bit smokey on full throttle, hoever the inlet/outlet are completely oil free but it has had about 5 months to drain away!

A rebuild kit and send away for balancing isn't too expensive so will address that now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Perfect example of how one job leads to another when trying to do anything on a Q4, we all must be mad, but personally I think they are worth it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Got fed up doing the commute in the boring Audi, so decided to take the Q4 today for a laugh, then on the way home stopped off at the tame hand car wash. If the weather behaves this weekend I'm going to break out polisher and give the paintwork a once over.

20180316_173904.jpg

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

No well behaved weather round here...snow and hail all day!

Still, it meant I had the chance to take my other Q4 out in the snow and play around with the rear end a little

Damn, 4wd is impressive!

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

The Q4 in the snow is great fun and quite controllable. We have a 4WD Ford Kuga but by default it spends 90% of its life in FWD only. We live on a very unmade road so has been fairly useful lately.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

159 is RWD bias, I think the 155 too...lots of fun

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Yes, think it is slightly.

Back to the thread topic....I have tried to separate the turbo from the manifold and failed so far.
    I've cut three of the bolt heads and undone the others to loosen off the fixing plates.
    Think I now need a lot of heat and some more tactful taps with a rubber mallet!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

So I've actually done a few bits and pieces on the car in the last couple of weeks.

The Alfaholics trackday was last weekend, I've been before so decided to makle that the target for getting the car ready. Nothing major was needed after all the work last year, but I did have the UK dials to fit. At the same time as this, and as I've effectively got a spare, I decided to give the binnacle a flocking. I like the look of this in general, and the dial surround seemed a nice easy, contained place to do it. Besides if it all went wrong, I still had a spare.

It came out OK, not perfect, but acceptable and better looking than 24 year old plastic.

20180421_165335.jpg

At the same time I needed to repair the waterspray kit, it looks like time had taken its toll and I had a broken wire in the controller. Quick bit of soldering and its all back up and running.

Being on a bit of a roll, and also being able to stretch the cars legs, I noticed that my fuel pressure really is a problem, at startup, before turning the engine over, I get @2.3bar pressure, but under boost, I never see pressure up above 2.8-2.9 . Now all the parts in the system are going to be old and worn, so I've gone for a new Walbro pump and a DW fuel pressure regulator. Hopefully if they arrive in time I'll get them fitted and tested this weekend.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Good work Steve and nice bit of flocking!
    I've had mine MoT'd and effectively it is back on the road. I was driving home from the MoT and was getting an ignition cut then an intake pipe popped under pressure. I've yet to find it but I did find after a quick look that the little pipe on top of the dump valve has split and entirely come away.
    I may get a chance to look t it today. Apart from that, it's had two new tyres and the tracking done and driving really well (albeit bit like a 1.6L).

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Had a little time to fix the small bore pipe to the dump valve today. I couldn't see anything wrong otherwise in the pipework and that would explain inaccurate boost readings.
    I did however notice a little oil dripping from the intercooler - I reckon it may have popped one of the sides off.

At least I know where to get one:
    http://italiancarparts-shop.de/epage.../Products/1039
    I think a Fiat Coupe could share the part too.

Bumper off time now...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Iginition cutting and blowing off an intercooler end cap, is your wastegate stuck and letting you make too much boost?

I've always thought getting an all alloy intercooler made up would be the way forward. The thought of plumbing in a FMIC always makes me shudder.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Yeah, I am not too interested these days in getting a bigger IC - just a standard fitment will do.
    It is possible that the wastegate is stuck...or possibly the pipe that feeds the actuator was crushed/kinked. When I took it apart I found it was a bit of a mess.
    I will have a search to see if there is a way I can test it with compressed air and a regulator. I doubt it is stuck as I had it moving freely on the bench when I refurbished the turbo.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaJack

Bumper off time now...
    Bumper off and a little wiggle of the IC and the end cap just fell off. Seems I did a proper job
    I compressed the seal with the help of some long camps and scrap wood and hammered the tabs back in to place (budget restoration rules adhered to).

I found after some head scratching the the cause for the over boost was simply the boost controller bleed valve. I can only assume that as I have not made any adjustments to the bleed valve that the turbo after having the bearings replaced spins more freely and is producing more pressure - seems unlikely though.
    Anyway after finding a helpful mechanic at Brands Hatch on Sunday (Historic F1 day) I took the bleed valve to him and he freed off the adjuster so I could take out the spring and ball bearing. For the journey home it had a standard 0.7 BAR of boost which is to be expected.

What doesn't add up is the the boost gauge never did show me getting anywhere near 1.5 BAR which is where the ignition cut is supposed to happen. :hs: :hs: I may have a separate issue.

Before all this I was glad to get some paint on the rear quarter and spoiler (that's 7 years post 95% respray!)

Bumper support reaffixed in with some JB weld.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Looking good there Jack, where did you get the paint from? Rattle can or compressor job?

I've got a few areas that need patching up so just weighing up options.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

The respray I did years ago was 2 pack and not lacquered. I think most of the off the shelf spray cans or the type that you can get made up are a matt finish that require lacquer so I wasn't too keen on that.

Someone on a mig welding forum said there are these 2 pac spray cans available that have a little canister of of the hardener/activator inside. You pull and twist a tab on the underside of the can to release it and then you have an 8 hour window to use it.

I was quite impressed with it. The nozzle has an adjustable spray pattern too.

I cut the can up after to see how it works. I got two 400ml cans delivered for £31.

The colour match is slightly off but the Meguires machine polisher might be able deal with that.

http://www.riolettcustomaerosols.co.uk
    Attached Images Attached Images