Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Default What have you done for her lately?

It has been very quite here lately....I guess we're all tinkering with the Q4s. We have this thread on alfa155.org and it is a good way of sharing bits of info.

So, for the past week or two my Q4 has been in the garage whilst I am trying to change the steering rack for the new one I picked up a few years back...it is about 20mm too big to be removed easily so all subframe bolts had to come out and the engine lowered after removing the 3 gearbox mount bolts on the left. Nearly done now.

Next jobs...get 2 new tyres and fix the oil leak which I suspect is from a loose breather pipe behind the exhaust manifold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I am waiting for her to come back from a workshop where a roll cage is being installed...
    Soon will come time for a mapping session on a rolling road

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

For the SZ...changed the timing belt and made a longer bonnet prop.

For the Q4...nothing It's hiding under a tarpaulin It needs welding

For the JTD...bought a new dual mass flywheel and clutch...EXPENSIVE!!!

Will be fitting it soon....

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I bought a lot of tools and am clearing out the workshop. Once that's done, I will be swapping an engine in the 2.5 and do the welding on the 3.0. The other cars will be needing their maintenance in the mean time as well, but right now preparing the workshop is the most important thing on the list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I am in the middle of preparing a new workshop as well! I need more space! After it complete I am going to move my hoist from the old work shop (about 100 meters). In the new location I will have approx 20mx20m of space - enough for my Q4!

Speaking of the Q4, It finally wore out the racing slicks that I had bought for it, so I need to get some new ones before I can run the car at Sandown next month, also I have just repaired one of the front wishbone bushes.

I was going to get a more sophisticated boost controller for the Q4, but as they are quite expensive, I have decided to get a complete new ECU instead that will also perform this function as well. I have decided to go with the Autronic SM4. I will put it in in late summer after the racing season is over. I am sure that it will involve a LOT of pain before I see any gains from the process....

If people are interested, I will document the process on this site.

cheers, jim

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Yes, please do document it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Finally finished the steering rack and had the tracking setup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

in the last weeks:
    interior mods: new checkpanel, the clock was shot, AEM wideband installed, Mbquart speakers installed.
    Mechanical:
    3" exhaust
    255lph fuel pump
    electronic shocks repaired and working
    alternator fixed.
    steering rack repaired.

after that, only racing at the track.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I have changed my 2,5 V6 engine in my 166, to a 3,0 V6 with lower mileage, and also the 5 shift gearbox to a 6 shift gearbox.

It has just been mapped last week, with a result of 247,6 Bhp at 7047 rpm, and 278,1 NM at 5175 rpm.

Then I have had a major cleanup in my workshop - new painting, new relocation off all the stuff in the shelfs - so now the workshop is nice clean and tidy - and ready to my 75 3,0 V6.

The 75 is going to be transformed into a rally/race car. I will use the winter on this quite lowbudget project.

Oh - and by the way - my Q4 is still at the bodyworkshop, waiting to get rid of all the damned rust.

But I?m not in any hurry...
    Regards...

RMB-Racing
    Ronnie Bonde
    Denmark

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

I went down into the garage, checked all the levels and started her up for the first time in 6 months. Started on the first twist of the key. Just need to get new clutch master and slave cylinders. And from the sounds of it a new water pump.
    And due to the fact the cambelt hasn't been changed in 6 years, but less than 1000 miles, I better get that changed as well.
    Still at least it started on the button, and made good oil pressure.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4: Dozeing in the garage.
    2009 Audi A4 tdi: Everyday drive.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 , 1995cc Std Standard Black

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Tried to quickly swap the turbo in front of the house, concluded it's not a 1 hr job and put it back on. Checked every connection and hose I could find, fixed a few, went for a test drive. She's better, but still low on oil pressure when she warms up and lacking power over 4000 rpm. I guess I have to take her to the workshop and swap the turbo there.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Whizz....is this on a Q4? If so, didn't know you had one - thought you were a V6 man...?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

As for my car..I got a couple of Uniroyal Rainsport 2s fitted.

Next job is the home full body respray....lots of potential mishaps due along the way!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaJack View Post
    Whizz....is this on a Q4? If so, didn't know you had one - thought you were a V6 man...?
    Mmm...same question here???

Noticed you'd been a bit secretive about a car on 155.org.

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I have indeed acquired my very own money pit in the classic color AR130 multi-rosso. Sssh! She needs TLC before I can drive her around so I'm not announcing her yet.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Lol...well congrats on buying a money pit

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by WhizzMan View Post

I have indeed acquired my very own money pit...
    That's torn it...your wallet that is!

Keep us updated

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Will do. Hopefully I'll bolt a turbo on this weekend and that should take care of the low oil pressure problem. If not, I'll need to inspect my crankshaft and big end bearings....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Argh! The turbo is fine, but there's this greyish putty on the bottom of the sump. I'm going to try to see if I can get the oil pressure high enough to dare drive it to the MOT and have it tested. That way, I don't have to SORN it (Dutch names are different, but the principle is the same). I wonder how well 20W50 will work....

Other than that, I put a spring on the brake bias valve, scraped rust and loose bottom protection off, welded the right footwell protector back on, put fertan on all the spots and after that epoxy primer.

I hope to start her again tomorrow, let's see if she's at least fit enough to get a test so I can start gathering bits to build a fresh engine without being in a terrible rush. I have already sourced a good head with the 155 BHP atmospherical cams in it.
    Last edited by WhizzMan; 10-09-10 at 21:32.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

You're starting off well, just like me

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Tried to get her home today, decided against it, too much noise from at least one big-end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Totally unrelated to the money pit:

Engine swap on my blu spazio V6. The old engine is out, the new one already has a dry tensioner and a fresh belt on it. Tomorrow I'll move all ancillaries and the gear box etc. to the new engine, probably hoist it in the car again and see how far I'll get hooking it up again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Default Stripe on the door sills

Most recently modification on my car:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Drove the fist few meters with the spazio. It's still SORN so only on private property, but it was good to be behind the steering wheel once again.

She still needs a list of things done before I can MOT her again, but I'm confident I can have that done before october 1st, which is when I plan to put her back on the road.

After that it's more cleaning out the workshop, so I can do more cars without having to "borrow" my workshop buddies' lift.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Today I checked both rear calipers for movement - they both seem fine. Also checked and re-adjusted the rear brakes compensator which also seemed OK. I used the 5KG weight as described in the manual plus a bit more.

Something is not right though as after a 4 mile drive and normal braking from 30 or 40mph one rear disk I could touch and keep my finger on - was not warm at all. The other was hotter but could still keep my finger on it for a few seconds, also both are rusty which is what prompted me to check them.

Any ideas?

I saw that the arm was moving on the compensator but didn't think to check the little piston it pushes against - I will do so tomorrow. At the moment it is sticking out about 10mm or so.