Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Default Boost controller and brake lines..

After driving the car at Sandown the other day, I have made a couple of modifications to my setup.. the brake pads (Lucas road pads) that I was using only lasted 8 'hot' laps.. Pic of the 'remnants' below. So I have changed to Ferodo DS2500 PADS. For you info.. the Ferodo part # for the 166 Brembo caliper is FCP1334H. They are a 16mm thick pad, but they still fit in!

Speaking of brakes, they were hardly working after 2 laps of hard breaking - massive fade - quite challenging really. so..

Also, I have changed the brake lines to braided metal (plastic coated) ones and I am going to add some brake ducting..

I am also thinking of using the 'old' original front disks from the Q4 on the rear (with a different caliper of course - no handbrake unfortunately..)

has anyone done anything similar with a rear brake upgrade?

Also, I am going to experiment with a different electronic boost controller. SO far I have only been able to develop 1.35 bar (at 7000 RPM) with the cheap Chinese T3/T4 turbo. That is certainly a LOT better than the stock turbo, however, I think it is capable of more!! I want 1.5 bar at 7000RPM. Anyway to rule out the standard electronic controller as the issue, I am going to try this new one... pic attached.

cheers, jim.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jimnielsen; 23-09-09 at 06:32.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Not seen that type of EBC before, "M's"???

I'm looking at buying a Gizzmo to replace the MBC, supposed to be very good and "only" ?200 in the UK.

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

DS2500 are pretty damn good pads - maybe you need a fluid with a higher boiling point too?
    Interesting MBC - I was after one of these a while back but I do like the simplicity of the ball and spring type I have..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by jimnielsen View Post

I am also thinking of using the 'old' original front disks from the Q4 on the rear (with a different caliper of course - no handbrake unfortunately..)

has anyone done anything similar with a rear brake upgrade?

It's one of my 'must do' things, but I do not have the mood for.
    I did it on a 75Turbo using hydraulic pump and additional calipers for the handbrake {total 2 calipers per side - the oem front one for braking and the 'additional' one for handbrake}. Do not know if can be done on the Q4, but that's the idea.

ps.
    on this 75T I had also twin oem calipers on the front {keeping the oem front disks} and twin brake pistons - no servo assisted of coarse.
    Nick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by wrinx View Post
    Not seen that type of EBC before, "M's"???

I'm looking at buying a Gizzmo to replace the MBC, supposed to be very good and "only" ?200 in the UK.

wrinx
    I have a Gizzmo IBC. Good but very basic. They are cheap, 200 pounds sounds expensive

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

That's for the MIBC(?) in the black casing, not the more basic IBC (silver box) which goes for about ?170.

Can't find them cheaper anywhere...without getting stung for import tax

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

OK, thats about right. I didn't really see the point of the MS IBC and bought the cheaper one. MS IBC appears to have some sort of overboost function.