Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Do you have the pre intercooler temp figures yet? That will show if the intercooler is inadequate, needing the water spray, or it could be the compressor wheel. Or something else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Steve.. unfortunately the connector for the sensor came off the pre intercooler temp. The only data I have from that day that includes both temp sensors is this... but its from a diffferent run than before..

cheers, jim ~
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

water spray fitted..

No, I won't be using the ice-cream container on race days..

The system uses 1 litre of water every 3 mins... so 4 litres of water will be fine for my purposes..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Talking

Hmm, I suppose you have mounted the car in the wrong direction on the spray nozzle

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

When is it set to active?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

The spray is meant to face forwards.. its a very fine mist and will be blown back onto the cooler..It is activated with a switch at this stage. This will suit well, as the sprint events that I use the car for are only a few laps - typically five. I will turn it on after the warm-up lap, and just let it run till its out of water.. 5L of water should last 15 mins. That is long enough..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by jimnielsen View Post
    ...I am interested in peoples opinions on pre-priming the oil system on the Q4 Engine. I am planning on using this basic methodology..

YouTube - Freshly Rebuilt Maserati V6

Hi, Jim!

In the end which procedure did you followed for oil pump pre-priming? I didn't knew that should be done, thought the pump does not need that. Thanks!

Cheers,
    C.
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

The standard oil cooler system has two connections. I disconnect the LOWER one and then pump engine oil into the connection (towards the engine) with the EMPTY new oil filter in place. This pumps oil right up to the cams and also to the oil pump. It still takes about 30 seconds of cranking (in 3 x 10 second goes) to get decent oil pressure. You need to have an assistant or the job can get messy. Put a finger over the free oil cooler hose while pumping the oil to keep the oil in (mostly) but let the expelled air escape. I pump in about 1.5 litres.

I remove the plugs and (of course) the electrical connection to the injectors for this. That way you get much higher cranking speed and faster oil pressurizing.

jim..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Thanks for the reply, Jim.
    Do you mean the connections ON the oil cooler or it's connections to the engine support (which I assume)? We have tried the first case but these won't get off...

Greatings,
    Cristian.
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

yes - not where the hoses join onto the cooler - but at the other end of the hoses underneath the oil filter...you pump the oil into the fitting that you remove the lower hose from.. Not into the hose itself...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Xti View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Jim.
    Do you mean the connections ON the oil cooler or it's connections to the engine support (which I assume)? We have tried the first case but these won't get off...

Greatings,
    Cristian.
    Alfa had the idea of thread locking these connectors on, I don't know of anyone who has managed to remove the oil cooler pipes from the original oil cooler without damaging it.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4: Dozeing in the garage.
    2009 Audi A4 tdi: Everyday drive.
    1994 Alfa Romeo 155 , 1995cc Std Standard Black

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

I have

I removed the entire cooler from the car, disconnecting the pipes at the engine end.

Then placed the cooler in a vice, protected with strips of wood. Then gently removed the bolts with a half turn forward and quarter turn back...like tapping a thread.

The problem is steel and aluminium fusing, so it is hard work...I still needed to clean the threads up afterwards and parts had disappeared, but it survived!

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk