Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Default Power steering pump broken

Hi all,

Today my power steering pump has started to fail....when stationary with the engine at idle the steering is very very heavy, its as if the engine was switched off but if I rev it a bit it gets a little easier and then whilst driving at normal speeds its feels almost fine. Parking is very difficult

It makes very loud whining noises when turning the steering. There is plenty of fluid and the belt is not slipping so I think the pump is failing?

I just wanted to get your thoughts on this...I do not think it could be anything in the rack.

Does anyone know what other cars the Q4 pump is shared with?

I guess replacement involves the removal of the inlet plenum? Not a job I enjoy...might part with some money for John Day to fix this one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

this is all the after market pumps for this pump
    the teck doc doesnt match the pump with athoter car use

if is the same with athoter car the tec doc display it

i dont believe that this is the only car that use it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Thanks, having it reconditioned has been suggested to me so I will see how much that will cost me first

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Has anyone heard of fitting an electric power steering pump? I am not even sure if they exist for the after market fitting but if anyone has any info I would appreciate it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Have you looked at Coupe pumps? Eper shows them as looking pretty similar although they are different part numbers.

It may be possible to get one to fit with very little modification....just a thought

Is the pump no longer available from Alfa?

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by wrinx View Post
    Have you looked at Coupe pumps? Eper shows them as looking pretty similar although they are different part numbers.

It may be possible to get one to fit with very little modification....just a thought

Is the pump no longer available from Alfa?

wrinx
    I was thinking about an electric pump (if available and feasible) as a way of saving some complexity and gaining a tiny amount of power.

I am struggling to get an online ePer to check the availability. I will call Mangoletsi later on.

Coupe pump is a good idea. I will need a good photo of the Q4 pump to ask for a comparison on FCCUK - can anyone help with that?

Cheers

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Hmm, it does show as available.

Part number: 7742918 is replaced by 7764220. ?180 - I can live with that especially if it lasts another 16 years

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

go for a new one, I think it is better.
    But do not force the steering at the ends of its turns. Usually that's the reason to 'destroy' the steering pump.

Nick

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Yes it used to make a loud squeal when doing that. Also when turning back from a full lock and stationary I used to get a very loud and high whining noise. All signs that it was on its way. I guess its been on the go since it lost all the fluid from a split pipe (burnt on the manifold) about 5 years ago - it rattled like mad on startup for the next couple of years then it quietened down...strange. I wonder what it is inside that breaks. Tempted to pull it apart and see..if its just a seal that is leaking fluid then I could have a cheap fix

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Alfashop say its available in Italy for ?200+VAT+P&P. However they do also, as I had seen on ePer do a new valve and spring for about ?35 which I think is also available. Given this is the only replacement parts they offer for the pump I suspect it could be the item at fault on mine. I will remove it on Saturday and strip it down.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Just got a quote for a re-con at ?150+VAT - obviously not worth it. So, repair myself or a new one it is

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

I wonder if the vavle is just a part which goes and the pump isn't repairable on a DIY basis?

New one will be around ?250....not a nice decision to make Have you tried Alfa...least they pay the postage?

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I will take some good pics of the valve on Saturday and see if we can work out what is worn. Have not asked Alfa yet but will do.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Removing the inlet manifold and then the trumpets with the injectors on frees up a lot of space nicely so it took about 2 hours in the end.

Here are some pics of the inners of the pump. The fins look ok but the block that holds then appears a bit scored - perhaps this is where pressure is being lost:

New pump ordered at ?200.19+VAT, also got the AC, PS and Aux belts. Should have it this week

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

oppps.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Has it arrived yet Jack?

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Yes last Friday, I did not get a chance last weekend but its scheduled for Saturday

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Its all done and running pretty well, the pump is dead quiet as expected and the steering is smooth. One concern, all be it minor is that the steering does feel a bit heavier now. Its a consistent weight lock to lock. It could be that I am not used to it after driving the Mazda for a couple of weeks, or its that this new pump is not as higher pressure as that of the old.

Here are some pics:

Also, decided to join the water pipes that would usually circulate through the throttle butterfly:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaJack View Post
    I could never get a replace for that hose!!

I got crazy until I fit some Ford hose...