Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by na15575 View Post
    have you got any photos ?
    Not yet but i will make them soon .

I will probably make an aluminium heat shield for the turbo also.
    Something like that:

or you can just buy it:
    http://www.priracing.com/section.php...b6a05e93dad1e6

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

guys,
    when I bought the car from the polish, everything near the turbo was melted. Even the plastic parts for the air-cond relays were just ONE melted 'thing'.
    I've already completely removed the bonnets heat protection - was melted already - and open a big hole on the bonnet. The fans wire connection replaced too as it was taking apart from itself. And the fans cover was in his place!
    Last month I met one of the two 'missing' Q4 here in Greece and he had wrap around even the water hoses, that are going over the turbo, with the asbestos heat protection tape. It is something 'missing' from my car but I'll do it as soon as I'll replace my radiator.

Going for a 'serious' spin with this Alfa in the summer here in Greece, even in the evening, you just can see the turbo glowing and feel the heat from a distance if you open the bonnet. So, heat protection is a must, at least in hot climates.

Be careful what you do with the heat and the oem alu engine head!!!

Nick

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Eeek! Was that with a standard manifold?

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by wrinx View Post
    Eeek! Was that with a standard manifold?

wrinx
    Yes, with standard manifold. Those guys {policemen who drove this car} were almost insane! Almost, not quite though. I've seen the turbo glowing last summer, in August, and I have not pushed that much the car.

Nick

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Ahh, that's ok then...I'm very gentle

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I also have the "glow in the dark" turbo.

If it aint glowing you aint pushing.
    155 Q4 wb 1995
    S2000 2005
    V70R 2005

www.alfa155club.nl

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Its strange that after minutes at full boost (at least 1 bar) pushing it out to 7000 rpm at each change I have not noticed much excessive under bonnet heat. Also, all the connectors, wiring, etc near the turbo are in near prefect condition. I wonder what accounts for that. Regardless, with all this talk of 'FIRE" I am definitely going to get the 'ebay extractors' coated - it makes a huge difference to the heat output.

cheers, jim...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by jimnielsen View Post
    Its strange that after minutes at full boost (at least 1 bar) pushing it out to 7000 rpm at each change I have not noticed much excessive under bonnet heat. Also, all the connectors, wiring, etc near the turbo are in near prefect condition. I wonder what accounts for that. Regardless, with all this talk of 'FIRE" I am definitely going to get the 'ebay extractors' coated - it makes a huge difference to the heat output.

cheers, jim...
    try 1,35 bar and more than 35 - 37 degrees Celcious ambient temp and we can talk again.
    Summer in Greece {and Argentina I believe} is just hot, very - very HOT! And these ambient temperatures are not for one day only, but for weeks. Not to mention the city traffic which makes thinks lot worse. You can cook anything you want over the front bonnet, even mousaka not just boil an egg.

Nick

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Can you do me a bacon sandwich?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Evodelta View Post
    Can you do me a bacon sandwich?
    whatever a customer wants!!!

Nick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Ok, something more appropriate.

The best heat reflective product I know of is gold. So imagine if you will an alloy cowl that runs the length of the head, attached by sandwiching onto the upper manifold studs and curved up and over the manifold. Once made cover it in something like this http://enjukuracing.com/gold-reflective-film-p-7502.html which I'm told is a decent example of this type of product. Combined with a ceramic coating on the manifold itself and you'd be safe in the knowledge you gave it a decent attempt at thermal managment.

You'll have to get your butties from the catering van at the track.

Nik

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Mmm, thanks for that. I was planning on just putting a sheet of stainless between the head and manifold, or perhaps aluminium...will that be no good?

What sort of temperatures are likely to be under the bonnet and near the manifold?

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

FIAT Coupe 16VT oem exhaust flange is a little bit different than the Q4's . It's from alu and have an eyebrow that covers part of the {oem} exhaust manifold keeping heat away, as possible, from the engine head. You could MAKE a flange like that and use it with the so called 'ebay manifold'.

Yes, gold might be the best solution but ... come on guys, lets keep our feet to the ground and be reasonable!
    If some one is planing to use an Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 for endurance or the Indianapolis 500 could even consider a real gold - not a polyamide - exhaust gasket. But keeping heat away from engine head or front bonnet I believe it will be the last thing to consider.
    From the other hand, I do not know someone you use any Q4 for a rally in the Sahara desert, do you?

The heat near the manifold is not that excessive to put your car in fire or melt the engine head. Just remove the insulating thing under the bonnet - just in case - or use an alu tape to the bonnets heat protection, over the exhaust manifold, as NA15575 did, and everything will be ok.

It will be much more risky for a fire to have a fuel leak from an injector for example, than the heat from the exhaust manifold.

That's for now.

Nick
    Last edited by arjunior45; 02-04-09 at 08:24.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

My solution:

155 Q4 wb 1995
    S2000 2005
    V70R 2005

www.alfa155club.nl

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

nice!

Nick

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

If it is more difficult to keep heat inside the manifold (away from the head), why shouldn't we try to send it out ?

Some day I was asking myself: why the 155 Q4 don't have some kind of air cuts onto the front bonnet like Grales have ? It's about esthetics or it's just that I am missing something...

What do you guys think about this matter? Thanks you.

Cheers,
    Cristian.
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Xti View Post
    Some day I was asking myself: why the 155 Q4 don't have some kind of air cuts onto the front bonnet like Grales have ? It's about esthetics or it's just that I am missing something...
    In some countries they did...this is a copy as I think mine had a "normal" 155 bumper fitted, but I cut them out

Should allow a bit more air in

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

If it is more difficult to keep heat inside the manifold (away from the head), why shouldn't we try to send it out ?

Cheers,
    Cristian.
    Like this?

Could be alright. As the 155 has to few vents.
    155 Q4 wb 1995
    S2000 2005
    V70R 2005

www.alfa155club.nl

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

or maybe something like this?
    I can assure you that you can see the 'heat' {distortion of the sight you have, inside from the drivers seat} coming out of this hole! Maybe it's the only defect!

And I'm using the FIAT Coupe 16VT exhaust manifold gasket too.

Nick

ps.
    sorry Steve, but this is just dust from Sahara desert and some trees pollen - the green one! Not always that dirty.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (148.0 KB, 20 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (146.5 KB, 28 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (150.5 KB, 22 views)
    Last edited by arjunior45; 03-04-09 at 09:20. Reason: ad another attachment

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Cheers,
    Cristian.
    I think that it was a matter of cost. They should have to design a new bonnet with the hole - holes and the corresponding plastic parts. And for just 2700 cars I do not think worthed the 'effort' and the cost.
    Unless they wanted just to keep low profile for a 'family' car like this one - regardless the 4x4 turbo set-up.
    My opinion. I can't see any other reasons.

Nick

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Very good points I'd say, thank you.

And even more interesting must be the way we could bring some improvement to ours 155 Q4s in this air cooling matter.

The blue 155 from Q4 Jan's picture (thanks) seems to me having just about those grids (air vents) from Grales. It might not look just as good as on Deltas but I deffinitely would give it a try sometimes.

At the end the cooling it's pretty important, isn't it?

Cristian
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Very good points I'd say, thank you.

And even more interesting must be the way we could bring some improvement to ours 155 Q4s in this air cooling matter.

The blue 155 from Q4 Jan's picture (thanks) seems to me having just about those grids (air vents) from Grales. It might not look just as good as on Deltas but I deffinitely would give it a try sometimes.

At the end the cooling it's pretty important, isn't it?

Cristian
    Glad to be of some value.

Actualy the blue one looks like a whole integrale bonnet, welded into a 155 bonnet. The whole shape is different than that of a 155 bonnet.

155 Q4 wb 1995
    S2000 2005
    V70R 2005

www.alfa155club.nl

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

You're right, it's different from a 155 bonnet.

Anyway, I'll stick to the idea of having some airvents onto the front bonnet of my Q4. It's just a matter of time. And money (the actual project is killing me softly...).

Cheers,
    Cristian.
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Had this before, but it was filling the sparkplug holes with rainwater.
    It wasn't painted yet, just with some black primer.

100_1846.JPG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Maybe you over did it. Stop at sparkplugzone.

One thing i did hear one time(Actualy from someone who raced the 155Q4's) , is that because the 155 bonnet is lower at the front than the back, the air pressure over it is higher at speed than over a flatter bonnet. (Like an integrale.)
    So when making holes, instead of sucking air out trough the bonnet, you would be pushing air in trough the holes.

But i find it a bit "whobly" theory. As getting cold air to the engine from above, below or underneeth will cool it. Might spoil the groundeffect, but as 155's don't have that......

Only thing to do is to find a willing suspect with heatsensors placed in fixed locations, and who has acces to two bonnets, of wich one can be cut up some.

I know i am not that person.
    155 Q4 wb 1995
    S2000 2005
    V70R 2005

www.alfa155club.nl