Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Xti's 155 Q4

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Surfaces being cleaned, degreased and dryed it was time for applying the anticorrosive treatment. It is done as I said by thinly spraying so that it ensures a complete covering (coating) even the most fine freckles (bores) present in metal. This treatment is in fact about a bicomponent epoxy resin (called Ecophos Hardener by MaxMeyer e.g.).

The treatment must be applied just before degreaser has already dryed so dust will be not present again. It must be covered as complete as possible the whole surface. A protection mask must be used otherwise it is dangerous for health to inhale those gases.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

After couple of days I've checked up, the protective mantle was dry and very stick to the metal. I was realy contented with the result.

The doors will be treated sometime later, first had to be removed from the body and prepared separately but not before body alignments were already done. All body adjustments must be done first so the car is prepared for the painting job.
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

you are doing a great job. Very 'professional' and I'm happy to see that an amateur is doing what should be done! Congats.

Are you going to paint the inner parts with red colour? I believe that parts out of sight can be left only with the anticorrosive treatment or at the most with a couple of clear coats on it. It will be easier in the future to see/check these parts.
    Nick

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Thanks for the nice words.

The inner parts are already painted, in fact the whole interior is painted in red. It's just that I have lagged behind with posting to this thread. Been very busy but I will try harder to catch up with the present.

I've never thought about checking the inner parts for possible rust spots 'cause after this job I realy don't expect to see any for the next 15-20 years. Besides this anticorrosive treatment applied to the metal there will be one more treatment applied over the paint and inside cavities (tar antiphonary) which prevents humidity to stay there and "work" to the body.

Cheers.
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Xti View Post
    there will be one more treatment applied over the paint and inside cavities (tar antiphonary) which prevents humidity to stay there and "work" to the body.

Cheers.
    as long as it is wax based, it is the best thing to do.

I made the same 'treatment' on my GT1300Junior, back in '92, and up today there are no rust point at all.

Keep up the good work.
    Nick

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

It was now to finish with the underbody sealing/painting, and to be more specific the sections were the front crossrail and rear axle are placed. (Damn... sometimes I barely can find tehnical terms in english sorry guys if I manage to mix them sometimes ). Firstly these two had to stick to the car so I could raise it on its side wheels (amateur job again but worked).

After having the front and rear axles removed it was time to start again with cleaning, degreasing, wire brush abrading, phosphoric acid antirust treatment, wirebrush again, sandpaper manualy abrading and then final degreasing before epoxidic resine spraying and elastic sealant applying. All these were easily and carefully done expecting as always the best result possible for this kind of job.

Bla bla bla.... pictures could speak much better than me I don’t know why I am annoying you with my story-teller or writing „skills”.
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

"Going under" to see the results...
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Next level: engine compartment and front wheels housings.

Cheers, guys.
    Cristian
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Soon need patchs on your knees you'll not be able to resist another look underneath, top job.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Engine compartment and front wheels housings: wire brushing, rust removing treatment, then manualy abrading and degreasing.

It really was a hell of a job due to irregular surfaces and their junctions, sections hard to reach, etc.
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Great work again - Is this up to the 'present day' with the photos yet?

jim ..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Thanks, Jim.

No, the thread is not yet updated to the 'present day' due to limited time I have here. But will update it as soon as I can.

Greatings,
    Cristian.
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Thumbs up

superb work xti,
    i think you will have one of the "cleanest" Q4`s in the world when you have finished her !!
    a drive no longer full of alfa`s !!
    Q4
    Sud
    Uno T
    Delta hf T

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Thanks, Mark.

I might say that thought crossed my mind too.
    But then I asked myself: "Will you really want to throw this thing out on the roads or should you consider to just set it next to your bed?"

Anyway, it doesn't matter what I think or what I want because the best place were an Alfa should be is on the roads. And everyone of us enjoying the pleasure of driving'em.

And when my 155 Q4 will be ready to get back on the roads, my "cuore sportivo" will be full of joy.

Cheers,
    Cristian.
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Cristian, I see that you have removed all (and I mean totally all) of the wiring of your Q4. I am interested in this because I am interested in removing all the the wiring in mine as well, except for the wiring that i need for the ECU (with all its sensors etc) and the ABS wiring. That way I could remove a lot of stuff that I don't need - so my question is - as you must have removed the wiring very carefully if you are going to reuse it - can you separate out the wiring like this AND are the ECU and the ABS wiring joined together in any way?

jim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Hi, Jim.

The wiring was removed (not necessarely carefully ) by an electrician as I'm not very familiar with this chapter. I hope he will remember what is this all about. I must say I can't remember right know if the ECU and/or ABS wiring can be separated from eachother or/and from the rest of wiring. But in the next days when I'll get to the garage I will take a look and let you know.

Greatings,
    Cristian.
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I have also spent some time taking care of rear wings: manually abrading (dry environment only) of rust spots and phosphoric acid treatment , wire brushing and reabrading after 24h.
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

It was time to make some sort of list with the parts that imperatively needed to be changed and first in my mind was to check different flexible covers (e.g. ones from axle shafts) and also cheking the integrity of other components (e.g. constant speed joints).

But then again I was bound to a lot of cleaning work as all these were extremely dirty, an old mixture of dust and oil/greaser.

So let's get it on with cleaning and degreasing with some diesel...
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by jimnielsen View Post
    Cristian, I see that you have removed all (and I mean totally all) of the wiring of your Q4. I am interested in this because I am interested in removing all the the wiring in mine as well, except for the wiring that i need for the ECU (with all its sensors etc) and the ABS wiring. That way I could remove a lot of stuff that I don't need - so my question is - as you must have removed the wiring very carefully if you are going to reuse it - can you separate out the wiring like this AND are the ECU and the ABS wiring joined together in any way?

jim.
    Jim, ABS wiring is completely separate from the rest, except that it has one connection to ECU wiring (brown/white wire from ABS connected to blue of ECU (see picture attached)

But if you'd want to remove say AC wiring, you would need to 'disassemble' the main wiring and remove the stuff you don't need.
    Last edited by mindus; 06-03-11 at 19:48.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Thanks for your intervention, mindus.
    Jim, if my help is still needed (in any case) please let me know.

Cheers guys,
    Cristian.
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

The rear brake calippers were off now, also the inductive sensors. Dirty words often came out of my mouth when a ...beep... screw from rear axle arm wouldn't came out. Twice broken...and they say only the fool makes the same mistake two times

Also checked out the components to see what else is needed to be changed (like brake pistons flexible covers).
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !