Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Xti's 155 Q4

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Some more rear side panels grinding...and here I am too.
    Also got company, Mr. Sparrow the mechanic sharing his thoughts on engine upgrades...

Will update soon I hope.

Cheers,
    Cristian.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

A very thorough job!

Hope you remember how it all goes back together

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Superficiality is something I find hard to digest. I'll do the job as good as I can.

The Berlina Sportivo forum (and I mean you all guys) means a lot to me because I still have a lot to learn. Very helpful indeed, something very precious.

I hope I'll finish this job before getting too old otherwise I'll do it by the book (technical manual). God help me.

Greatings,
    Cristian
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

From pictures sequence I can see that the camera time setting must've been wrongly ajusted (month inverted with day). Did I mentioned about superficiality somewhere?

It was time to remove the old painting from the body (exterior) to be sure that the paint doesn't hide under it any putty or even rust points which might want to come out some later after the painting job.

I used Szuper Kromofag (needed ~ 5 liters) which is non acid- non basic, containing 10% methanol and 85% diclo-metan. It really burns the paint from under and doesn't affect the galvanic stratum (first wanted a sandblast but it was very expensive at it would have damaged the galvanic str). You just have to spray it on or apply with a brush and let it work about 15 minutes on surfaces after that teh paint can be removed (if it won't come down itself).

I was thinking to repaint my Q4 in Rosso Alfa even if I like Proteo too just that I want my 155 to be Rosso Alfa. It will be a full respray (interior/exterior/underbody).
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I bet you didn't leave it bare for too long!
    A great thread, well written, you show some real commitment there. I would change the colour too, you can get the integrale in that colour (called Winner red) and I think it looks horrible.
    I nearly wet my pants laughing at the bike in the bed pic, your Mrs is quite nice too!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Hope you're only pouring and not drinking it!

A naked 155...

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I don't want necessarely to pre-establish some time limit to get this done but I must try really hard to make time a friend of mine. Then there is also kinda budget limit and this bothers me too. Anyway I'd like to have it running this summer.

The main target here for me is to help this 155 Q4 having back it's original (stock) condition but fully restored. Of course I want and certainly try for a little bit more (and here I'm counting so much on your suggestions guys) just that bigger plans at this moment would mean for me hunting too high.

These cars are temperamental and this is a hell of a good reason that we have such respect for them. When I drove it I felt like a good challenge and a friendly invitation at same time. And let's admit it guys, we often like to identify ourselves with our cars. And we can be prooooooud, don't we? Commitment here is something that comes natural and I'm sure you all know that. Thanks for your kind words, Evodelta.

@wrinx

Mate I wouldn't drink it if that solution would make women get naked too.

All right...there's a picture with some bodyparts waiting to be prepared for sandpaper polishing...
    Today it was really cold at the garage and couldn't work.
    Last edited by Xti; 29-12-08 at 22:28.
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Suggestions? On what? You seem to be doing ok to me

You probably already know, but use an etching primer on bare metal, a 'weld through' primer on seams which are welded together, seam sealer afterwards and a good wax application to the cavities after that, Dinitrol is very good here, but you may have your own kind.

The underseal in the wheel arches and underneath hides rust quite well, I wheeled mine outside and got a blowlamp and scraper on it, it set on fire, so what? I watched it burn, it did the job for me!

Correct preparation is 90% of a good job, don't rush. Sometimes not a good idea to set a time as these projects always take longer than expected. I remember being amazed by how long it took me to put a car back together after my first re-build; Weeks, not the days I thought it would.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Xti View Post
    Today it was really cold at the garage and couldn't work.
    I had that problem here too, I spent the day doing paperwork and researching heaters! I am liking the look of a waste oil burner...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

As mentioned before I was already had started some underbody work too but not so much. But we were now back in bussines and have the Q4 on two wheels just like Statham did in Transporter. Of course not so good balance as ours, almost 2 month…

Got removed everything underbody but the two main axles, had no time for levitation…

First I had to degrease the whole underbody otherwise couldn’t detect for rust points and it was pretty much covered in oily mud. The underbody was only ~ 60% factory sealed so I had to do it better.

And there we go… degreasing the whole underbody and then have removed every inch of old sealant. I prefered not to remove old sealant from where different chassis parts join together trying to avoid wekening'em and the sealant is very thick at those joints (water or condense could not possibly got under it). Of course I had to check some but no rust att all. Btw...the old sealant is kinda orange coloured and it might give the impression of rust but it is not rust.

Next was a complete underbody abrading for a better primer adherence.

I tink I’ll let some pictures to the talk and I’ll be here when you need to ask anything.
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Some more...
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Got rid of powder from sandpapers, cleaned the underbody again, washed the floor too, got axles dressed in paper and then sprayed first stratum of primer.
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

The primer already dried we were preparing for a new sealing (insulation if it?s correct to say). First on joints, thicher, all holes and then the rest.
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I have this friend of mine, Attila, who really helps me to get the job done. I will give him a champagne or beer shower at finish.
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Couple of days waiting for the sealant to dry and then sprayed it in red. Do you guys would suggest a different better colour for underbody ? Thanks.
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

It was now main axles (front and rear) turn to be removed so that I can apply same treatment to surfaces below. We had to loosen the axles, settle the car on something (which turned to be the wheels), have?em removed and then get started again.

I?ve also found few imperfections to already sealed and sprayed surfaces which were placed in blunt angles but they have been taken care of. as you will see from pictures.
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

This is also the point I?ve reached so far, maybe two or three more hammers here and there and I?m glad that on these free of work days I found some time to share this with you all. It?s not an easy job but satisfactions exceeds the efforts. And looking forward to the final result it makes me even more happy and content.

I must say it again, it would have been much harder for me to start this if Berlina Sportivo forum wasn?t here for us.It really gave me more selfconfidence. Once again congrats to those who made this possible and to those who keep their enthusiasm alive day by day. ?Perche il cuore ha sempre raggione!?

Updates to follow soon I hope.

Many greatings,
    Cristian.
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Evodelta View Post
    I had that problem here too, I spent the day doing paperwork and researching heaters! I am liking the look of a waste oil burner...
    Mate, what are you up to? Am I missing something? I might have lost some posts being busy with my 155 Q4 thread, sorry.

Oh, I can't believe what time is it...have to get some rest here.

Cheers,
    Cristian
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

[quote=Xti;11433]Mate, what are you up to? Am I missing something? I might have lost some posts being busy with my 155 Q4 thread, sorry.

I must have been tipsy to ask that foolish question. Of course I've read the whole thread just maybe I got my mind stucked whatching such a good work of yours. Congrats again.

Quote Originally Posted by Evodelta View Post
    Suggestions? On what? You seem to be doing ok to me

You probably already know, but use an etching primer on bare metal, a 'weld through' primer on seams which are welded together, seam sealer afterwards and a good wax application to the cavities after that, Dinitrol is very good here, but you may have your own kind.

The underseal in the wheel arches and underneath hides rust quite well, I wheeled mine outside and got a blowlamp and scraper on it, it set on fire, so what? I watched it burn, it did the job for me!

Correct preparation is 90% of a good job, don't rush. Sometimes not a good idea to set a time as these projects always take longer than expected. I remember being amazed by how long it took me to put a car back together after my first re-build; Weeks, not the days I thought it would.
    Any suggestions are welcome, might be better. Just shoot, thanks.

Yes, very important also to wax cavities (here I use a sprayable black tar called "Tectil" in my language) which guarantees a good antipfonary and also anticorrosive body protection. We are lucky to have the 155 Q4s galvanized and due to that it's body shows a good material condition.

Indeed it always takes much more than can be assumed. What was your previous rebuild project/s ? I barely wait to find.

Cheers,
    Cristian
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Xti View Post
    I have this friend of mine, Attila, who really helps me to get the job done. I will give him a champagne or beer shower at finish.
    He must indeed be a good friend if you're thinking of showering with him

I'm still impressed...keep the pictures coming

You are lucky to have a good shell to start with

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I'll nicely ask him to pick up the soap and try to be tender because I might still need him involved in this Q4 project

You mean pictures from that shower? Your patience could be hardly tested then...

What do you mean by shell? Sorry...

Cheers,
    Cristian
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Bodyshell.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Oh I see. It's not perfect but it will be close.

As mentioned before, the interior was far from what I had in mind for my Q4. So one day...surprise ! Got him a Recaro interior.

Sometime earlier I've also bought a new set of coilovers, a Street Kit from d2racing.
    Last edited by Xti; 30-12-08 at 20:47.
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !