Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Default 16" vs 17" wheels for 155 Q4. Advantages/ Disatvantages

Generally speaking this could be about advantages/distvantages between smaller and bigger wheels, if you want.

I'll start with some of. Please improve/correct this lines, thank you.

16? or smaller
    Advantages: lower price; within regulations when imperative; less weight; the car is quicker on short distances; more manageable; higher profile for the tyre if needed = more protected on bad roads; less stress on suspensions;
    Disatvantages: less clearance for bigger brakes; tighter tyres = less adherence/ less braking surface;

17?
    Advantages: more aesthetic; more clearance for bigger brakes; wide tyres/low profile tyres mounted => increased stability/ better adherence/ bigger braking surface;
    Disatvantages: higher price; more stress on suspensions; higher car sitting; more weight; slowing down the car on short distances;

Some aspects can be relative and the comparison is supposed to be made between different sizes of same rim. The order isn?t necessarely relevant.

Cheers,
    Cristian
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

16" wheels let you maintain the original 590mm diameter if this is important for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Thanks, Jim.

I'd usually stay within the manufacturer specifications when it comes to passengers safe but bigger brakes should also improve safety. Just that this time I'm not sure about how much these bigger wheels (17") could affect the car in time (suspensions, body, etc). Maybe you guys know much more than I do.

Jim, what could be the consequences if changing to a bigger diameter than the original 590 mm? Thanks again.

Regards,
    Cristian
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

If you go up a wheel size, you would generally fit a lower profile tyre which will give the same or similar RR (rolling radius) which makes some of the comments not so strong.

You can fit a 315 (at a squeeze a 330) x 32 disc into a 16" rim, this is more than adequate for road use and enough for track use.

Also increased grip from extra width is generally not the case, as people go from a 16 x 7.5 to a 17 x 7.5, although the lower profile will ultimately give more grip and bring back some more of the feel which is lost by the bigger wheel.

You have a much bigger range of tyres for the 17" rims.

There is a noticeable loss in how well the car feels with bigger wheels, for pure driver pleasure and a sweet and easy car to manouvre then the smaller wheel is better. My car feels very clumsy with bigger wheels on, it is like a small person with big feet...
    I often drive it with the smaller wheels, sure, less grip, but much more pleasurable to drive.

It's mainly aesthetics and there is no doubt that a bigger set of nice wheels sets a car off lovely: "Wheels maketh the car" as some would say.....

Just my thoughts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

17 inch: Bridgestone potenza re050 only available in 17inch+

(Some sizes in 16 inch but not for the Q4.)
    155 Q4 wb 1995
    S2000 2005
    V70R 2005

www.alfa155club.nl

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Have anybody yet tried to fit the Alfa 166 3.0 Brembo brakes under 16" O.Z. Superturismos?

I would like to have this brake mod later so I have now to choose between 16" and 17" O.Z. Superturismos...

Thank you very much.

Cheers,
    Cristian.
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

I cannot be 100% but I think not...a post on 155.org talks about someone having 17s because they fit with big brakes...but no more details.

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Thanks for this Wrinx, it makes much more easier for me to take a decision. The beer it's on me.
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

guys, DO NOT come in Greece with 17" rims {and their low profile tires}.
    You will need a new set of tires - rims{100% sure of that}, various parts of the suspension {top mounts just for a start} and some ...welding for the chassis!
    I'm using the oem 15" Speedline with 205/50 x 15" tires but the policemen used to have 205/55 x 15' tires {higher profile than the oem tires} and I believe the car had a better ride with them.

Ok, 17" rims are more impressive and you can find more tires for them, fit bigger brakes ... but at least you need smooth roads - something 'extraterrestrial' for us.
    Nick

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Good point, Nick.

Same situation with the roads in Romania so that is why I'm so unsteady...

As far as I know the max tire profile for 17" is /45, isn't it ?

I might be forced to drop out the bigger brakes mod, fit 16 rims waiting to pay more road taxes
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

You could look at fitting Wilwood brakes, a bit more expensive than 166 calipers but would ft under 16s with 284mm discs.

I'm planning this mod for my next set of wheels as they won't fit the calipers I have now

I prefer 17" wheels as I can really feel the car moving about on 16" wheels, but 17s are definitely "boneshakers" on a 155

A couple of guys on 155.org have fitted 18s...

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Indeed nice brakes the Wilwoods .

Looking forward to see the new wheels.
    Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 WB '95
    Alfa Romeo per sempre !

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

My new wheels...?

They are in a horrible state at the moment, needing an expensive refurbishment and new tyres...probably looking at around a grand to finish them...plus the brake caliper change!!!

It will be along time yet...

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage