Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Default Brake pads for 166 calipers

Hi I have bought these pads for my 166 calipers (on the Q4...) for track use - I have used them with the original calipers (on the Q4), and also with Mazda RX-7 calipers on other alfa racecars and they work great..

They are made by TRW. However I see that the pads made for the 166 caliper in this compound have big "cut edges" at least in this manufacturers product?

what are these cut out bits for?? less braking I guess?? Can anyone suggest another pad that does not have these cut outs?

Guess they'd work better as they wear down .. hmm..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

I've often wondered about the chamfers....two possible reasons spring to mind. One is that the bevel possibly reduces noise and secondly, that as the pad wears it gets hotter due to thinner materials and therefore needs a larger surface area to be effective.

But I'm only guessing...

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

it's purely for preventing brake squeal... i need to bevel some pads that don't come like this on occasion if the owner complains about brake squeal...

there is o influence on the brake force, because with sliding friction the contact area is of no importance... only the friction coefficient and the force applied... Wear will be higher though, and the generated heat will be concentrated on a smaller area...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

if you want to try another poad, give some consideration to Perfromance Friction pads. These are only available for Brembo calipers...

AutoLusso sells and fits them, but on Alfaowner.com there's a very good review of the pads, made By Trailbraker on his 400 bhp supercharged GTA. http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tunin...telemetry.html

they fall between Ferodo DS2500 and DS3000 with regards to performance, but require no heating and don't squeal...
    Last edited by cuore_sportivo_155; 10-10-08 at 19:54.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Thanks for that - performance friction have a distributor here in Australia (a miracle in its self..). I will give em a call and see if they have pads for the 166 caliper. I could not find a specific performance friction pad on their main (usa based..) web site for the 166 caliper. does anyone know if the 166 brembo caliper is shared by another production vehicle, or what its generic 'brembo' part number is.

thanks for the info.

jimn~

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Err....from memory the pads are shared with a Mitsi Evo but no idea which version, if they differ.

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Yup, this site confirms Lancer Evo:

http://www.brakeparts.co.uk/

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

for the 330mm brakes i believe?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

No idea, but they share the same p/n as 166s.

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Pagid RS5 is also available for 166 calipers. Very nice for racing and even stop good when still cold.