Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Default Colder Spark Plugs

Does any one here who has increased their boost run colder spark plugs (Steve Webb I think has mentioned this in the past)

Part of an odd running problem whilst on the motorway is that I put my foot down at about 60mph and the boost goes straight up to just over 1 bar (manual boost controller) and you would expect quite a good turn of speed, but instead there is a smaller amount than usual, a bit more noise and its hesitating to pull properly.

So, I suspect its the plugs not being able to cope with the boost which is no longer ECU controlled...

Any thoughts, and if anyone has changed for colder plugs please could you post the part numbers?

Thanks
    Jack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Ngk B8egv...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Thanks axa, have found a supplier for ?29 delivered. I need to be sure this is the problem though. I wonder if it could be the non OEM water temp sensor. Also, I wonder if its a lean or rich problem...I am told that the Squadra will run rich though...hmm...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

with engine hot at 90 degrees do not expect the cts to effect that much fueling. But if fueling concern you that much why don't you mount a diy O2 sensor? They do not cost too much and incorrect fueling can cause problems.
    Higher engine temperature than normal is an indication of bad fueling.

1 bar boost is not much and with Squadra chip you must see higher boost at midrange and full throttle. Did you rise the fuel pressure? I think Squadra does not reccomend that - but not sure.

I use the same sparks as axaQ42. Previously I used some other sparks, Bosch and others and I had strange problems when running the engine even in the city. With the ngk I have no problems at all. Do you have your sparks for too long?

Keep us posted

Nick

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Thanks Nick, I have had the current plugs (OEM) for about 12K miles, not sure how long they are supposed to last. The fuel pressure has not been changed.

Have thought about an o2 sensor in the past. Can I get a gauge and wire it to the lambda instead of drilling a new sensor in to the exhaust?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Im use Ngk B8egv too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaJack View Post
    Thanks Nick, I have had the current plugs (OEM) for about 12K miles, not sure how long they are supposed to last. The fuel pressure has not been changed.

Have thought about an o2 sensor in the past. Can I get a gauge and wire it to the lambda instead of drilling a new sensor in to the exhaust?
    see this one : http://www.lanciahf.eu/lecture_sonde_lambda.html

You can use also pin number 2 of the IAW to connect the wire to. Open the IAW and solder carefully a wire to Pin 2 - you will see the pins number from the inside.

Nick

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

The NGK plugs are good, but overkill for the level of boost you are running. Worn out plugs give misfires and not much else so you are probably barking up the wrong tree.
    They are motorbike plugs and can be had for reasonable money on Ebay.

My first thought would be fuelling and lack of it and boost leaks although really, it could be 1001 things.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaJack View Post
    Thanks Nick, I have had the current plugs (OEM) for about 12K miles, not sure how long they are supposed to last.
    12k miles

I've just changed mine for some NGKs (6ET???) and the car is much smoother

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Evodelta View Post
    The NGK plugs are good, but overkill for the level of boost you are running. Worn out plugs give misfires and not much else so you are probably barking up the wrong tree.
    They are motorbike plugs and can be had for reasonable money on Ebay.

My first thought would be fuelling and lack of it and boost leaks although really, it could be 1001 things.
    Fuelling might be a good place to start, because with this MBC the boost is coming in earlier and higher so I expect there isn't enough fuel to match it

Will reconnect the pier-burg and see how it goes on that..

If no better, I will change the plugs, seems they are due anyway....il get the B8EGV's as they seem popular here.

?26 delivered: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/B8EGV-NGK-SPAR...3286.m20.l1116

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Just had a thought. Maybe it is because I am being a cheapscate and running it on RON95 when the Squadra is mapped for RON98.....its been ok before the MBC was installed....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rides

Whip the MBC out and see what happens...too much of a coincidence imho

wrinx
    My Q4 in the Garage

www.alfaromeo155.co.uk ............................ □□□-V-□□□ .................................. www.ilmostro.co.uk