Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Default adjustable blow off valve

just arrived my 'adjustable bov {dump} valve' and I'm going to mount it in the next days.
    But it is adjustable from 8 to 16 psi and I'd like to ask your opinion about the 'level' I should adjust it. Is there any procedure to follow?

Nick

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I would go for about 12 to begin with, as long as it doesnt leak under boost and does not cause too much compressor surge then you should be ok I am still trying to get my HKS SSQV to work....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by arjunior45 View Post
    But it is adjustable from 8 to 16 psi and I'd like to ask your opinion about the 'level' I should adjust it.
    I think you need to look at the maximum presure you are producing and adjust your blow of valve accordingly. This is how my dump valve is configured, done by Stephan from Squadra tuning
    This qay you never have to worrie about leaking pressure and you should be save not building up to much pressure.

Greetings,
    Marc
    In a world full of compromise...
    ...some don't.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

guys with integrale told me to adjust it so that not to blow off at idle speed and that I must not worry for the max boost produced by the car. One of them use the bov at 0.8 bar with boost at 1.6 bar.
    You see, I use a 4 maps eprom switch going from '0.6 bar/no overboost' up to '1.3bar' boost map and it will be inconvenient to 'adjust' the bov valve every time I switch from a map to another.
    Hope they are correct when they say 'don't worry about the max boost'.

Nick

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by arjunior45 View Post
    One of them use the bov at 0.8 bar with boost at 1.6 bar.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but this way the valve will open at the configured 0.8 bar! This way you will leak pressure from the inlet to the outside air. The valve opens at the setting you configure it.

Greetings,
    Marc
    In a world full of compromise...
    ...some don't.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

I believe that 0.8 bar means that it will open when the difference between the 'turbo' side and the 'inlet manifold' side pressure will be 0.8 bar {higher at the 'turbo'-turbine side}.
    You see, I believe {and maybe I'm mistaking} that with throttle open the valve stays close by the force of its spring and it opens, closing the throttle, when the boost at the turbine side becomes higher than the boost at the 'inlet manifold' side plus the spring force.
    Hope you can understand what I mean.
    So, with the throttle open, I do not think there will be any leak even at 1.6 bar or even more!

Nick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

You are right Nick, that's the way it's works.
    If you set it up with a low difference pressure, it'll be blowing off every time you close the throttle.
    If you set a high difference pressure, you could have surge and will only blow off when you close the throttle in a high boost situation.
    I have a Greedy RS and is set in middle.