PDA

View Full Version : what are these boxes??

jimnielsen
28-12-07, 08:13
I have been doing some "weight reduction" on my Q4. So far I have shed 64 Kg, thats 141 Lbs from it. I have been weighing the things as I remove them so that I can come up with a final total. I think I can lose more than 100Kg by simply removing the bits that I don't need for using it to race. I have found some pieces that I cant identify, they are all under the rear seat base and they look like small "ecu's"!! But what exactly are they?? I have identified them on this pic with the letters a,b and c so that you can identify the specific ones. I cant seem to find them in the manuals either? Any insight appreciated.

Thanks, JimN~

Steve Webb
28-12-07, 08:50
Can't remember exactly what is what, but there are bits and bobs for the Electronic dampers, rear leccy windows etc under there. I'll try to fish out some firmer info from the manuals

jimnielsen
28-12-07, 08:52
If you are able, I'd appreciate the manual page refs too. Thanks, Jim.

Steve Webb
28-12-07, 09:10
This one is probably as good a place to start as any Electronic Suspension (http://www.berlinasportivo.com/Technical/q4manual/31%20Controlled%20Damping%20Suspension.pdf) Page 5 has a diagram of locations of components, but you would probably need to read the whole thing to figure out what everything does.

j1v
28-12-07, 09:30
I think the central one is the ABS ECU, because I don't have el. suspension and still have the central one.

wrinx
28-12-07, 09:35
Yes, the central one is something to do with the 4wd/ABS if I remember correctly, it even has an access panel!

wrinx

Steve Webb
28-12-07, 09:43
Try this one Body Electrical (http://www.berlinasportivo.com/Technical/q4manual/155Body-Electrical.pdf)

Page 72 and 74 .

I think C is the roof light control unit.

AlfaJack
28-12-07, 09:47
Try this one Body Electrical (http://www.berlinasportivo.com/Technical/q4manual/155Body-Electrical.pdf)

Page 72 and 74 .

I think C is the roof light control unit.

:eek::eek: A whole box for a roof light!
How complex can the Italians make it?:doh:

Steve Webb
28-12-07, 09:47
I think the central one is the ABS ECU, because I don't have el. suspension and still have the central one.

I was about to say that it wasn't, but the last link I put up is for the 2wd 155's, so I think you might be right, especially as the Q4 ABS is far more advanced than the regular version.

jimnielsen
28-12-07, 23:02
Also.. this press button switch under the drivers seat.. what is its purpose, and also the actual electric connection to the actual front seat??

thanks, JimN~

RMB-Racing
28-12-07, 23:28
Also.. this press button switch under the drivers seat.. what is its purpose, and also the actual electric connection to the actual front seat??

thanks, JimN~

My guess is that the wire is for the heated seats. And the button is a fuel cut off button.

jimnielsen
28-12-07, 23:47
what would be the purpose of a fuel cut off button under the front seat?

AlfaJack
29-12-07, 01:37

Maybe its there for easy reach if you have a front end crash, not certain though.

jimnielsen
29-12-07, 04:08
while I was removing a few more "bits and pieces" and under the center console I found that the gear linkage appears to have been modified with a 'short shift kit' or similar. Or maybe its just standard equipment on a Q4 - has anybody else seen one of these?

JimN~

Steve Webb
29-12-07, 07:59

thanks, JimN~

Would the wire not be for a connection to the seat belt connector that is attached to the seat subfame to switch off the seatbelt warning light on the dash when you put on your seatbelt. If that lot makes sense?

Steve Webb
29-12-07, 08:04

I don't think there is any real purpose to the switch. I may be a legal necessity for cars sold in Japan. The fuel pump circuit in a Q4 is controlled via the ECU unlike other 155's where the pump is just switched on via the key. 2wd 155's have the fuel pump reset button under the passenger seat, to reset the circuit in the case of the accelerometer tripping out the circuit. Without a system like this you could get the scenario where a crashed cars fuel pump continues to run after the engine dies. This cannot happen in a Q4 as the pump would be stopped by the ECU as soon as the engine died.

Steve Webb
29-12-07, 08:09
while I was removing a few more "bits and pieces" and under the center console I found that the gear linkage appears to have been modified with a 'short shift kit' or similar. Or maybe its just standard equipment on a Q4 - has anybody else seen one of these?

JimN~

Never seen a quick-shift kit fitted, but have heard of them. From the look of the pic you posted the reason I never saw one fitted was because you need to butcher the leading edge of the gear shift aperture to reattach the cable. Is that the case, or does it just look like that in the pic.

Be interesting to see what difference it made though.

jimnielsen
29-12-07, 08:33
yes, the leading edge of the gear aperture is butchered to fit this kit - it could have been done much neater. The car is quite notchy in the gear change, and maybe this accounts for me putting it back into 2nd from 5th when i really just wanted 4th!

JimN~

RMB-Racing
29-12-07, 10:14
Would the wire not be for a connection to the seat belt connector that is attached to the seat subfame to switch off the seatbelt warning light on the dash when you put on your seatbelt. If that lot makes sense?

I think you are right about that!

AlfaJack
29-12-07, 11:30

JimN~

Mine has this kit, fitted by the previous owner, I believe the kit came from Japan, like your whole car did - I have no gear selection problems though, each is fairly easy :)

cuore_sportivo_155
29-12-07, 13:50

when the car decellerates too fast, like in a crash, the fuel cut-off switch stops the fuel pump to reduce the risk of fire.

If this should happen, but the car isn't immobilised, you can push the switch to rearm the fuel pump and go on your merry way...

how many people would find the switch if it was under the hood (which might not open anymore after a light crash etc...) so they put it under the seat...

cuore_sportivo_155
29-12-07, 13:53
for reference, my 8v 155 doesn't have a fuel cut off switch, but my 16v 145 does...

the wire could be the switch for the seatbelt light, or for the seatbelt pretensioner....

Steve Webb
29-12-07, 14:49
when the car decellerates too fast, like in a crash, the fuel cut-off switch stops the fuel pump to reduce the risk of fire.

If this should happen, but the car isn't immobilised, you can push the switch to rearm the fuel pump and go on your merry way...

how many people would find the switch if it was under the hood (which might not open anymore after a light crash etc...) so they put it under the seat...

The European Q4's at least don't have a fuel cut-off reset switch, the fuel pump relay is controlled directly from the ECU. The fuel pump runs for 5 secs when the key is turned to the acc. position to build fuel pressure, then the pump only runs whilst the engine is running. Once the engine stops the ECU kills power to the fuel pump as well.

Evodelta
30-12-07, 22:02
Take the scientific approach;
Just unplug them all, drive off and see what doesn't work anymore.

:D

Steve Webb
16-01-08, 07:53
Take the scientific approach;
Just unplug them all, drive off and see what doesn't work anymore.

:D

Or not as the case may be :biggrin:

Steve Webb
16-01-08, 08:07

thanks, JimN~

Did you find out what this was for Jim?

jimnielsen
16-01-08, 09:18
yes, as many people replied, it is indeed a fuel cutout switch. I still haven't tried it yet, and I'll probably remove it as soon as I can confirm that the car still works with it unplugged!

JimN~