PDA

View Full Version : Winter tyres again

Steve Webb
13-12-07, 11:57
Does anyone on here drive alot on the snow/ice? I'm off to the pyrenees in Jan, and now I've got an invite to go to Meribel as well. I'm planning on taking the Q4 rather than the RR, and wondered about whether or not anyone has used snow chains with their Q4? My feeling is that they won't fit or it will be a very tight fit. Snow socks are an option, but I've heard they are pretty useless, or else it comes down to a set of steel rims with special snow tyres, but that is the most expensive option.

So, what do you all reckon? Links to products appreciated.

cuore_sportivo_155
13-12-07, 16:38
where are you located for the rest of the winter? In general winter tyres are a good idea, and more capable on snow/ice then even the best summer tyres, as soon as the temp of the ground goes below 6?c. Also alloys don't like salt, depends if they put it on the roads in france...

Steve Webb
15-12-07, 17:39
Well they don't use a great deal of dalt on the roads over here so thats not an issue, also the car doesn't get used a great deal period. So the snow tyres/traction aids would only really be used for the trips. The more I think on it the more I'm erring towards the snow socks, they are probably the least efficient, but least likely to damage the rims, and a damn sight easier than swapping a full set of wheels over.