PDA

View Full Version : EGR air leak

wrinx
13-11-07, 20:27
Hi all...another stupid question time!

I've removed the EGR valve from my car...when doing so I noticed one of the connections to the thermostat had broken. Pipes go from the EGR to the thermostat and then from the stat to the throttle body.

Would this cause a loss of vacuum that would affect the turbo boost?

wrinx

AlfaJack
13-11-07, 23:28
Where does the line from the throttle body go now? Is it blocked off?

wrinx
13-11-07, 23:50
Yes, small piece of silicon vacuum hose with one inch of a six inch nail in it ;)

wrinx

wrinx
15-11-07, 00:17
Anyone...would this cause enough vacuum loss to affect the turbo boost?

wrinx

AlfaJack
15-11-07, 02:01
Iv no idea tbh...what readings are you getting?

wrinx
15-11-07, 07:48
I was a little bit down, boosting at 1.2 maximum but that's with a Squadra :?

wrinx

Steve Webb
15-11-07, 08:47
I suppose it could reduce boost as with the broken small bore hose, you have got an air leak on the pressurised side of things.
When its all working correctly the EGR valve will pass exhaust gas back to the plenum at small throttle openings. However if the hose between EGR valve and plenum were broken, you would get an air leak from the plenum whenever the turbo was making any boost,

AlfaJack
15-11-07, 09:15
1.2 is not bad, iv only ever seen 1.3 max on a Squadra..

wrinx
15-11-07, 17:40
Mmm, thought it should be about 1.4...perhaps I'm not having too many problems then :lol:

In that case it's not powerful enough yet ;)

wrinx

wrinx
15-11-07, 17:42
However if the hose between EGR valve and plenum were broken, you would get an air leak from the plenum whenever the turbo was making any boost,

Yes, exactly my thinking but wasn't sure of the effect as the hose is very late in the piping, directly in to the throttle body.

Hopefully that's my last 0.1 or 0.2 of missing boost ;)

wrinx

mindus
17-11-07, 20:47
EGR is removed from my engine and the two (if I remember correctly) hoses right under the throtlle body are blocked with some small bolts/pins. Have no idea if that is done to avoid the pressure leak but that's what's been done..

wrinx
17-11-07, 20:58
Bugger, looks like I'm struggling to get more than about 0.7 or 0.8 now :rolleyes:

Can't understand it, EGR removed, found a leak and fixed it, replaced a couple more suspect pipes too :(

But, boost does feel a bit more "urgent" now...EGR removal perhaps?

Will have to check again... :rolleyes:

wrinx