PDA

View Full Version : Gear engagement cable

veki
30-10-07, 13:38
Well it broke, how or why, I have no idea. What would be the easyest way to replace it, possibly without removing all the parts from underneath the car that block the way to the metal thing that holds the gear lever?

AlfaJack
30-10-07, 14:48
Bad luck, can you get to it from the top inside the car if you take away all the trim?

You sure its not broken at the engine end?

veki
30-10-07, 16:26
You sure its not broken at the engine end?

Yes, I'm sure, if you are thinking about the connection to the gearbox, both cables are attached fine. Problem is I can't se any further from there.

Bad luck, can you get to it from the top inside the car if you take away all the trim?

I don't think it is possible, because of the central support, and the way it is configured. See picture: http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/1636/uzfufnk1.jpg

Another thing is that I have pulled the cable from the inside of the car, and as it comes out about 20 inches or so it blocks, and it won't go any further. If anyone has a picture of the engine bay without the engine, it would bi nice if they could post it, maybe I could get a better picture.

155-tbo
30-10-07, 17:02
Is it broken from gearstick end?
I had this problem also and mine was just loosing one of the "holders". The holders are inside of gearstick hole. Hard to explain, but take out your gearstick cover and there you can see both of the cables.

AlfaJack
30-10-07, 17:38
If anyone has a picture of the engine bay without the engine, it would bi nice if they could post it, maybe I could get a better picture.

I can get this from the hi res pics, but it wont be until later tonight unfortunately.

Best I can find for now:
http://www.cloverleaf4.co.uk/images/uploads/7123.jpg

veki
30-10-07, 17:47
That would be great, since I can't do much untill tomorrow anyway.

Thanx!

AlfaJack
30-10-07, 22:56
Sorry, even these are not that great but they might help a little.

veki
30-10-07, 23:59
Thank you very much, it is much clearer now. I'm pretty sure the problem is where the arrow is pointing. I'll get back with some details.

Thanx again.

AlfaJack
31-10-07, 01:19
Time to remove battery tray and get a torch and have a poke around :)

veki
03-11-07, 14:08
Got to the bottom of things, and here's what I found;
To be continued....

P.S. 155-tbo, whish it was as you said, but looks like it's going to be a bit more complicated.

AlfaJack
03-11-07, 14:15
Oh dear :( Have you sourced a new part?

veki
03-11-07, 14:19
Yes, about 115 € a piece. Best to change both while I'm at it, but I'll inspect the second one first.

veki
23-11-07, 17:47
Well, this took long enough...
So, I've managed to get it done without removing anything apart from the battery+holder, and some oil separator hoses. This is because the cable line (small bore hose through which the cable goes) remained in place. A few pics of the new cable below:

AlfaJack
23-11-07, 18:22
Nice, where did you source the parts?

p.s, congrats in the football!:tapedshut:

veki
23-11-07, 22:56
Nice, where did you source the parts?

I had it made at a place that makes all sorts of cables. The ends are used from the old one, and the cable is new. When I pushed it through the line from the inside of the car and tightened the small screw to hold the cable, I pressed the iron end with big appliers so it would hold better. The whole thing cost me more than four times less than the original would, and time will tell how permanent of a solution it is.

p.s, congrats in the football!:tapedshut:

Thanx, it really was special, I'm still ecstatic.

AlfaJack
23-11-07, 23:58
Perfect, good that it will last!