PDA

View Full Version : Saggy arse

Steve Webb
23-10-07, 09:27
I think I'm really going to have to bite the bullet soon and replace the suspension on the car. At the moment it is all standard, and a couple of weeks ago I had to carry 2 people in the back of the car along with a couple of bags in the boot. I can't remember the last time I had that much stuff in the car, anyway on the way back (sweeping A road type journey) every little bump was accompanied by the sound of one of the U bolts holding the exhaust together scraping along the road, and every now and then one of the rear tyres rubbing on an arch.

Knackered springs, or just lardy people in the car?

AlfaJack
23-10-07, 09:56
Are the bump stops still in?

I guess springs do get softer after a while though. Shocks might be past their best too, easy to test though.

After changing all mine over, the car is so much better to drive :)

What are you going to go for, Intrax? :cool:

wrinx
23-10-07, 10:00
Shocks would be the first place to start, mine were so bad one of them compressed under the weight of it's own piston!!!

I experienced bottoming out almost everywhere, with just me driving....springs do sag though.

wrinx

Steve Webb
23-10-07, 10:05
Are the bump stops still in?

Ahh, thats a good point, no they aren't, the part of the spring location tower that they are fastened to has rotted through :cry: I guess I really need to get the whole lot off and fix it. Then stick the new suspension on. I'm not sure I can run to Intrax yet, but If I'm going to do it, I may as well fit something decent.

Anyone taken a rear subframe off recently?

AlfaJack
23-10-07, 10:11
Anyone taken a rear subframe off recently?

Nope and I don't intend to! Doesn't look a pleasant job :cry:

Guess you are wanting to do all the subframe bushes etc.

Rear shocks are fairly easy except for the OSR top shock bolt - not easy access but do-able.

wrinx
23-10-07, 10:23
Rear shocks are fairly easy except for the OSR top shock bolt - not easy access but do-able.

Yes, bit of a pain that one...crawl under far enough and it's accessible :D

wrinx

Steve Webb
23-10-07, 11:08
Hmmmm, looks like its a full set of everything coming up, the front wishbones need doing as well, so at the moment it looks like it is

New Springs
New Shocks
Repaired rear subframe
New bumpstops
New Wishbones
Polybushes / Maybe

That should keep me busy for a while.

AlfaJack
23-10-07, 12:04
Might as well add on,

7. Front Top Mounts
8. Top rubber front spring holder