PDA

View Full Version : Starting problems.

wrinx
20-09-07, 23:45
I have two symptoms....

One....from cold I need to push the accelerator to the floor. A big "no no" on modern cars but as I don't care about the cat on the Q4 it doesn't really matter. Car will catch ok and then be a bit lumpy for a few second but eventually settle down. Trying to start without putting my foot to the floor will result in backfiring/popping.

Fuelling problem perhaps???
Idle actuator (where is it?)???

Two...when warm, foot needs to be flat to the floor again but the car will usually only start when I release the key?!?!?!

Any ideas?

wrinx

AlfaJack
21-09-07, 09:43
Not terribly sure on the problem, but this is where the idle control valve is.

I would suspect a sensor of some sort - maybe check them over with a meter using the references in the manual.

wrinx
21-09-07, 16:14
Thanks Jack, can that be cleaned like the Twinsparks?

wrinx

AlfaJack
21-09-07, 16:36
Thanks Jack, can that be cleaned like the Twinsparks?

wrinx

This should help :biggrin:

http://forum.berlinasportivo.org/showthread.php?t=563

wrinx
21-09-07, 19:29
Thanks Jack...my symptoms aren't as bad as that, perhaps it's just fueling which is my problem.

wrinx

wrinx
24-09-07, 21:07
Two sensors on the thermostat, which one is the water temperature sensor please...blue top???

wrinx

AlfaJack
24-09-07, 21:32
Yup you got it ;)

wrinx
01-10-07, 00:08
Would the EGR thermovalve cause any problems?

wrinx

AlfaJack
01-10-07, 00:36
Would the EGR thermovalve cause any problems?

wrinx

Unsure, wouldnt have thought so, but I am unsure what that valve really does for the system :?

cuore_sportivo_155
01-10-07, 05:47
divert exhaust gas back to the inlet to reduce the oxygen content in the cylinders, in order to drop the exhaust gas temp to safe levels for the turbo... and to improve emmisions (Nox in particular)

AlfaJack
01-10-07, 11:49
divert exhaust gas back to the inlet to reduce the oxygen content in the cylinders, in order to drop the exhaust gas temp to safe levels for the turbo... and to improve emmisions (Nox in particular)

I know it does that, but what I dont know is, what control do the tiny rubber pipes coming off the thermovalve on the thermostat do? Does it allow airflow at a certain temp?