PDA

View Full Version : Pierburg valve

wrinx
27-08-07, 12:01
A post by 155-tbo has made me wonder...he said the following in a post last year:

"Check your overboost valve (Pierburg). It is maybe broken, so you don?t have any overboost. I have same problem, when I bought my car. I replaced it to manual boostcontroller and now I´m planning to replace it electronical boostcontroller."

Are these a good idea? Sure I read somewhere that they can break the engine if you dial in too much boost....opinions, and can they replace the PV?

wrinx

AlfaJack
27-08-07, 12:25
Basically a manual boost controller cuts out all ECU intervention over the turbo. So you will get as much boost as you set it to in all gears, no restrictions - Yes can be bad for the engine - but when I get one I will have about 1.2Bar setting and just be sensible with it - but iv the advantage of a stronger head gasket than standard - I think it can take up to 1.4Bar.

Steve Webb
27-08-07, 12:32
Yep, the pierburg valve is controlled directly from the ECU, so it takes advantage of all the ecu safety controls, (overboost, inlet air overtemp, knock) If you use a third party one, I'm you'll be sidestepping all of those features, so if something is wrong, you are still letting the engine produce loads of boost, and risking the health of the engine.

Jack, I was under the impression that the standard head gasket could deal with 1.4bar, and that the uprated spesso ones could take @1.7bar. Not sure if that was with larger (12mm) main bolts though

wrinx
27-08-07, 12:37
Interesting, thanks guys.

wrinx

AlfaJack
27-08-07, 12:43
Jack, I was under the impression that the standard head gasket could deal with 1.4bar, and that the uprated spesso ones could take @1.7bar. Not sure if that was with larger (12mm) main bolts though

Im not sure actually - maybe I can safely run 1.4 then :smile:

AlfaJack
27-08-07, 12:50
http://www.boost4you.de/manuellercon.htm

This is what I am going to get - its ball and spring type :smile:

Steve Webb
27-08-07, 16:27
I do hope you are joking there :eek: looks awfully like a bleed valve. Quickest way to detonate an engine known to man.

AlfaJack
27-08-07, 23:29
I do hope you are joking there :eek: looks awfully like a bleed valve. Quickest way to detonate an engine known to man.

Given that I dont know much about these, a fella I met at AI with a 330bhp Thema said he had tried a bleed valve and it was rubbish, since then, he has tried 5 different types of this ball and spring type and has concluded that this one is the best. It just allows a top boost setting at what ever you like. Iv got other priorities for the Q4 currently so iv got plenty of time to think about it and get more info