PDA

View Full Version : Modern Alfas

Steve Webb
13-08-07, 19:32
Following on from a comment on another thread, does anyone else think that modern Alfas have lost some of their appeal because they have gone too mainstream? I know Alfa needed to sell more cars to a wider audience to stay viable, but do you think the whole 'corporate look' thing has gone too far. Personally I have trouble telling some of the range apart these days.

Xti
13-08-07, 20:48
I agree with you and I'd say it's about money again. Maybe the Fiat Group had turned atention towards commercial vehicles ( at least this is what I see in my country) for a while and that may have been a regres for it's sportive department which Alfa Romeo proudly represents . Since it's early times Alfa was a very stylish and temperamental car which had lended itself to distinguished and selected peoples. I think this will be the same forever. Anyway it would be a pity not to revive Alfa Romeo's "cuore sportivo". Time is what makes the difference and legends does not born from one day to another, I'm sure you all know what I mean. This is also why I've prefered the '95 155 Q4 in stead of an 2002 Alfa 147. I also believe that we all want to have a car that represents us and reflects our individual personalities.
Above all that I believe that if Alfa' s could speak we would hear something loud like "think with the heart" but maybe this doesn't fit this days anymore... "Il cuore ha sempre raggione" should say about Alfa Romeo much more than I already have tried. What is sure for me is that the material - spiritual mixture is not a very fortunate one.

cuore_sportivo_155
14-08-07, 03:24
Alfa's have lost their sportyness and are more and more about image and prestige, imo... look at the weight of a 159 for one... more and more like a heavy audi :/

wrinx
14-08-07, 23:26
Well....I still love the look of the newer models, I currently drive 156 (JTD!!!) Sportwagon and will buy a secondhand 159 Sportwagon in a few years as I think they are gorgeous!

Not a fan of 147s, dunno why but I think they look crap...apart from the front end.

Also love the corporate nose but agree with the comment that they look too similar. I struggle to tell revised 156s and 159s apart these days!

Quite like the Brera and GT too although I think they take sales from each other.

If Alfa continue to build cars people want then more power to them imho...there can't be many manufacturers who have such an attractive line up :D

wrinx