PDA

View Full Version : water at turbo flange?

jimnielsen
20-07-07, 12:38
Hi. Ive been checking my "new" Q4 over and the only real issue that I have come across is that when the car is first turned on it has a few drops of water bubble up between the exhaust manifold and the turbo housing. Does anyone know where this water could be coming from. It is only a teaspoon of water and then it evaporates away and all seems fine - no signs of leaking exhaust gas.

Here is a picture taken 60 seconds after turn on.

http://www.nielsen.org/alfa155Q4/leaksmall.jpg

And another question. The car seems to have simply water in it rather than coolant. I'd like to flush the cooling system and add proper coolant - but where is the coolant drain plug?

thanks.. Jimnielsen

AlfaJack
20-07-07, 12:54
There is no drain plug, you just disconnect the bottom radiator hose.

That water being there is wierd, thought the system should not leak anything at all :? :?

Juan AR155Q4
20-07-07, 20:31
It could be due to condensation in the exhaust and a bad seal between trubo and manifold.

jimnielsen
20-07-07, 23:12
is there a gasket between the turbo and the manifold? What type is it?

Juan AR155Q4
21-07-07, 19:19
Like this:

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/Catalog%20Images/Gasket/GSK-T3Inlet-225225.jpg

jimnielsen
22-07-07, 00:41
Thanks, Jaun. I'll get a gasket. I have drained the coolant from the engine by removing the lower radiator hose. then I flushed the system by pouring water into the top expansion tank - letting it run through. I then put the lower hose back on. In the manual it says that the cooling system holds 9.1 litres. But I have only been able to put 5 litres back into the system and that is after running it , letting it cool then re topping up? Does the system really take 9.1 litres?

thanks, Jim.

AlfaJack
22-07-07, 02:02
It should take around 8 as you will never get all the old out.

Your problem may be a big air lock - did you have the interior heater on max heat when you refilled? If not, you need to do this so water can get round the heater matrix properly.

jimnielsen
22-07-07, 09:35
nah - I had it set to 'max cold' so I guess that explains that!

Steve Webb
23-07-07, 20:26
Keep a check on the water level for a week or so after you have refilled it. Took at least a fortnight for the level to finally settle when I changed my rad.