PDA

View Full Version : Faulty Pierburgvalve!?

SSQ4
10-07-07, 09:57
Since i bought the car it has not been so powerful as i wanted. So i have tried a few things to correct it.

When i installed a boostmeter it only reads about +0,6 in any gear...
I have changed all vakumhoses (not the one to the map sensor).
I have now installed a Turbosmart manuall boostcontroller, and adjusted the pressure just bellow where the ignition is cutting, the car goes now very fast and feels very strong from about 3000 rpm, (I have clocked it to about 7 sec. from 0-100 km/h with a stopwatch and speedometer).

So i guess that the pierburgvalve is faulty! However i cant get a new Pierburgvalve, so what do i do with the wires that are connected underneath the valve???

The strange thing is that the boostmeter only goes up to ca. +0,5 - +0,6 even now when the car goes like a rocket!?!?!? (yes i have a ground connection on it)

I have ordered a Squadra chip today.

Someone that have any ideas of this problems

SS

AlfaJack
10-07-07, 10:20
Hi SS,

Where have you connected the boost gauge? Maybe it has a leak

If your car is setup to give boost just before the ignition cuts then I believe your turbo is making just under 1.5 BAR

Are you looking to remove the Turbosmart boost controller and change back to the Pierburg valve?

Or are you keeping the Turbosmart boost controller - If you are, you are overriding the ECU - so I think you can just leave the wires disconnected.

Jack

SSQ4
10-07-07, 10:46
I have connected it with a Tee on the inlettmanifold, The same connection for the relay for the intercooler waterspray. But i have to joints on the hose that goes in the car to the boostmeter!

I guess that it would be vise to adjust it a little bit down until i have the Squadrachip installed!

I would prefer a pierburgvalve so the computer have controll over things, but as long as things work with a manual or electronic aftermarket boostcontroller i can live with that.

The original pierburgvalve is out of produktion!

Snorre

AlfaJack
10-07-07, 11:15
Mine is connected further down between the small plastic pipes next to the battery but I guess it should give the same reading - maybe there is a leak (could be a faulty gauge?

you need an oscilloscope to test the pier-burg valve - or try swapping the electrical connections on it around

Do you have an uprated head gasket to take the extra pressure?

SSQ4
10-07-07, 11:21
I suspeqt that the gauge is faulty, i think about buying a VDO gauge or some other quality item.

The car, and engine is original even the airfilter is the original papertype :shock: Will the Squadrachip limit the boost or is it only via the Pierburgvalve this happens?

SS

AlfaJack
10-07-07, 11:38
I suspeqt that the gauge is faulty, i think about buying a VDO gauge or some other quality item.

The car, and engine is original even the airfilter is the original papertype :shock: Will the Squadrachip limit the boost or is it only via the Pierburgvalve this happens?

SS

My Squadra chip does not allow more than 1.1 Bar of boost.

I would turn your manual controller down to what you suspect is 1 bar - wouldnt like to hear of a broken engine :(

Also, I have a Siemens VDO gauge - nice nice but it rattles when on part of the boost

:? :?

SSQ4
10-07-07, 11:44
Thank you for the tip! I will turn it down a couple og notches until i get the chip! It tends to cut the ignition on full throttle now an then :?

Do you have the Pierburgvalve intact, or do you use an aftermarket controller?

SS

AlfaJack
10-07-07, 11:48
Thank you for the tip! I will turn it down a couple og notches until i get the chip! It tends to cut the ignition on full throttle now an then :?

Do you have the Pierburgvalve intact, or do you use an aftermarket controller?

SS

I have the standard per-burg valve.

When your ignition cuts, does it really badly jolt the car? As mine started doing this when a pipe had fallen off the pier-burg valve - the boost was hitting 1.5bar - its the ECU trying its best to save the engine from exploding :lol: :lol:

SSQ4
10-07-07, 11:52
Yes!!! The whole car shiver an shakes brutal!

And because it does so only when the boost is about 1,5 bar, i recon the gauge must be faulty as it only reads +0,6 bar!