PDA

View Full Version : 2.0L 16v 155 Help

Steve Webb
06-07-07, 13:36
I just received this plea for help via email, and thought I'd post it up here to see if anyone else can help or offer advice.

Dear Steve

I hope you can assist me with feedback on Alfas. I drive one, but it it now not operational, and unfortunately is going to cost me megabucks to have it done through the dealers.

I have an Alfa 155 T-Spark (1995 or 1996 model). I was driving at a low speed (possibly 10 or 20k) as I was getting to a stop street and the car just died on me. I tried restarting it, boosting and kick starting it but it would just not swing.

We got an auto electrician to have a look at it, and he, during a process of elimination, said it was the Cam belt. What are your feelings on this?

I am thinking that it could it be the auto cut-off switch which usually come with Alfas? And if this could possibly be the case, is there a way to bypass this?

Your comments would be most valued.

All opinions welcomed.

AlfaJack
06-07-07, 14:33
If its not turning over at all I would suspect the cam belt has gone - or a tensioner etc - how many miles on the current belt?

Steve Webb
06-07-07, 14:43
I sent this reply to the plea.

As for what is wrong, we'll need to know a few more details, Do you get the normal set of lights on the dash when you turn the key? When you turn the key to the starter what happens? Does the engine spin over ok? Any strange noises? Does the engine sound as if it is going to start at all?
There is a cut-out switch, it is located under the passenger seat if I remember correctly, it gets set off if you have an accident but can get set off if you go over a pothole etc. You just need to press the switch back in.
You problem could well be the cambelt, do you know when it was last changed? years/KM ago. If it is the cambelt it could be expensive. To check this you could probably just undo a couple of the bolts that hold the plastic cover over the cambelt (left hand side of the engine as you look at it from the front) or you should be able to see one of the cams through the oil filler cap. Take the cap off them get a friend to engage the starter, you should see the cam rotate. If it does them the problem probably isn't the cambelt.

Anyway, feel free to join the forum, its not just for Q4's and let us all know how you are getting on.

and just had this reply back, I'm erring towards cambelt myself.

Dear Steve

Thanks for getting back to me so promptly. It’s a 16v t-spark. The lights do come up normally, but the engine does not”engage”, nor does it sound as if its going to start. Unfortunately, I do not know too much about cars – I would have to check and let you know on Monday. I do know (I was driving at the time) that the car was in motion, and then just died – this was at a 10 to 20k speed. When I tried the ignition, it wouldn’t start, and made a whirring noise (different from a starter problem). We had to get the starter redone recently, and that’s how I know the noise is different.

I will let you know about the other info by Monday.

Have a great weekend!

Ciao

Jill

16v heads are interference aren't they?

sub555
06-07-07, 14:50
id say its stripped the teeth off the belt or tensioner faliure :( :( :( :(

wrinx
08-07-07, 00:16
Would have to agree....16v+stopped engine=broken cambelt.

Did he say when the belts were last changed, or if the tensioners were also done?

Time to give Lancs a call for a new engine :(

wrinx

WhizzMan
24-03-08, 20:15
A whirring noise could also be the starter motor not engaging? I still haven't seen if the engine itself is actually turning after reading these replies.