PDA

View Full Version : clatering noise

sub555
21-05-07, 20:50
after rebuilding my engine i have a clatering noise coming form the back of the engine when the engine is being turned off or running on low revs has anyone had this problem before??? im thinking it could be the starter motor not disengaging properly any help please :( :( :( :(

Steve Webb
21-05-07, 20:54
Certainly the right place for the starter. Could it be a loose heatshield or something other than the engine and related bits?

sub555
21-05-07, 21:03
is there anyway to test the starter for this sort of problem or could it be gearbox :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

AlfaJack
21-05-07, 21:05
Maybe if you need the solenoid 12v you may be able to hear it click - perhaps if no click then its already stuck engaged, not certain about this though :(

sub555
21-05-07, 21:07
cheers aj ile try it tommorow :wink:

Steve Webb
21-05-07, 22:35
Never had cause to take a Q4 starter apart, but the ones that I have, the solenoid is not only there to pull the pinion gear into place, it also completes the circuit for the main motor, so if the solenoid was stuck engaged then the motor would also be continualy running.

Could be that the spring that pushes the pinion gear back is weak or shortened, in which case the pinion gear could be interfering with the ring on the flywheel.

sub555
22-05-07, 22:34
right its definatly the starter nmotor so going to have t o buy a new one now :cry: :cry: :cry: