PDA

View Full Version : gearbox problem

sub555
14-04-07, 22:10
fiitted my new engine and gearbox including new clutch preasure plate and release bearing started the car out side with no down pipe on or drive shafts connected or prop shaft no bad noises or anything so pushed the car on the ramp to fit my prop shaft and exhaust and drive shafts fitted them now when the engine runs there is a noise from the gearbox if you press the clutch it goes away and when you release it gets noisey any ideas everything is new in the gearbox but the suspension is on full droop would that make a difference :?: :?: :?:

AlfaJack
14-04-07, 22:28
Just a thought, have you wobbles the gearstick at all (prob a silly question) - there can be a grinding noise if the car is half in gear - happens to me when I am lazy selecting reverse

sub555
14-04-07, 22:31
does it when in nuetral aswell???

AlfaJack
14-04-07, 22:36
If in a solid neutral then, no.

Would be wierd for a new release bearing to do that but cant think of much else :(

wrinx
14-04-07, 22:48
If the suspension is on full droop I wonder if the driveshafts are kinda being strained beyond where they would normally be...if you see what I mean :lol:

Have you tried the same tests on the floor?

wrinx

sub555
14-04-07, 23:00
goin to try tommorow :roll: :wink:

Steve Webb
15-04-07, 09:26
Could be that at full droop the angles of the driveshafts is making them noisy (running on patches of corrosion?) and that even in neutral the viscosity of the new g/box oil is enough to turn the output shaft / prop and driveshafts, which are noisy as they are at full droop.
When you dip the clutch it all stops.

Mind you its alot of mechanical stuff for a g/box in neutral to turn.

Just a thought.

Steve

sub555
15-04-07, 16:11
when i dip the clutch it gets louder just put the car back on the floor and its still doing it so looks like its the clutch release bearing :( :( :( :( :( :(

Steve Webb
15-04-07, 16:27
ahhh bugger. These seem to have a habit of going tits up as soon as you look at them. The red Q4 I had for a while had a noisy one, Wrinx's is noticeable and yours as well Sub. Sounds like they ought to be changed if the gearbox is gonna be off the car for any reason!

sub555
15-04-07, 16:52
thing is its completly new clutch release bearing and pressure plate? :? :? :? :?